• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EPIC cooling FAIL (read it... you'll see)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Big One

SO... i got these pics from an "unknown someone" and here is the story:

a customer came to a local computer store with a problem, the pc overheats and shuts down... he said he replaced the CPU's heatsink.
The technicians opened the case and this is what they found

img20100912145334.jpg

OK... nothing out of the ordinary, a stock 478 cooler...
until it hits them... it's a 478 cooler on a 775 motherboard HOLY CR*P

how the hell did he do it?

after the initial shock (and laughing like hell) they started to wondering about "how the hell did he do it?" and worse "how the hell do you remove it?"

after a long battle with the cooler, this is what they found
img20100912150145.jpg

screws, he used SCREWS!!
on the top of the motherboard, 2 screws...
you need to understand, the size of the 478 doesn't fit a 775
but as they say... "if there is a will, there is a way"
OK, now what?
they thought that if they'll remov the motherboard they'll be able to remove the bracket as well... they tried, it didn't work, the motherboard did not move an inch.

When it finally hits them, they found something too EPIC to even consider..

they were right
img20100912150441.jpg

he drilled through the case and INTO THE MOTHERBOARD tray!

ok, that's my "story"
what do you think? EPIC or what?

EDIT
forgot the most funny part after they replaced the cooler, and powered the pc... it worked

ahh it just needed a littl more dremmmel work, and mabey a sawsall.
so did they fix it, or have to resort to selling him a whole new cooler :)

The type of guy that would do that kinda DIY repair seems like the kind of guy who can fix this himself. Maybe he just did it for a laugh?

I mean really, come on here people. If he knew it was overheating, and he did that kind of a "mod" and removed the original heatsink I wouldn't think that this was accidental and he really didn't know why it was shutting down.

The type of guy that would do that kinda DIY repair seems like the kind of guy who can fix this himself. Maybe he just did it for a laugh?

I mean really, come on here people. If he knew it was overheating, and he did that kind of a "mod" and removed the original heatsink I wouldn't think that this was accidental and he really didn't know why it was shutting down.

This is true....

Along side the fact he also had a "spare" HSF ready to go.

But, what a laugh. hahahaha :rofl:

Well, yeah, I think if he knew nothing of computers once he saw the holes didn't line up he would have said "maybe someone else should do this." :)

:rofl:I LOL'd.

The fact that he drilled a hole in the mobo and it still worked is the best part of the story.

GIGABYTE F***ing RULES ALL!!!!!!

This is proof!

I had to link on the Gigabyte forum, i just joined for that express reason. Very funny!

Last edited:
LOL WOWOOWW... i have done some ghetto cooling in my life (i once used bailing wire to secure a socket 604 hs to a 478... actually worked like a charm) ... but thats hilarious epicness!

This is how a proper 478 heatsink should be mounted to a 775

P2170047.JPG

an si-120 that i made custom bolt through brackets and backplate for.

Back