• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time LCer, EVGA SR-2 + 2x 5970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't mind the normal look, just want em black. I have some Matte Black Paint I could paint em with, but not sure if that's a good idea.

Besides, they are still cheaper than the ones at my local hardware store, even with shipping.

Also need to find black screws/nuts to use with the HK supremes and for the fans/rads in the front of the case.

Last edited:
Going to get ~10ft of both the Primochill UV Red and Blue 1/2" ID, should give me plenty of extra to work with. Also grabbing 30 of these http://www.jab-tech.com/Bitspower-G1-4-Matt-Black-1-2-Fitting-BP-MBWP-C01-pr-4516.html
Going to try and make those work and if I need 45s or 90s i'll get them after.

I'm pretty sure i've seen Con say either the DD or Bitspower SLI/CF fitting was a good one, so i'll look into one of those.

Any suggestions before I hit buy on some of this stuff?

Decided to just get 40 stainless clamps and I can paint them black or something, was only 14 bucks for 40 anyhow.

Last edited:
Pretty fittings! Seen someone put heatshrink over the clamps to make them blacker. Was a decent job, dunno what teeny heater he used to shrink the shrink.

I used the DD SLI one. Been removed and redone more than a few times. Not because of problems, just doing stuff ya know...... Been happy with it since I got it. Double oring in the short barb thing, 3 diff sizes, it works for me.

Yea, heard no issues with the BP one either. Since your going with black fittings, I think the BP one can be black fittings with a colored tube, would look nice.

I figured I'd give them a coat of matte black paint when they're open just enough to slip onto the tube, that way the screw shouldn't expose any silver coloring or whatever.

For heatshrink, I have a little butane pen torch with a heat blower adapter that works well.... once I get it lit that is, takes a good 30 seconds or so before it stays lit.

Wow, they're actually going to refund me the difference.

Should have asked them on november first when I could have saved almost $100 on the SR-2 :(

So... I can't decide. Got my laptop today.

I'm torn between two different Drive setups.

First:
Corsair X256 SSD as first drive, for Windows and Games, etc.
2x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB Drives in RAID 0 for Downloads, random data, etc.

OR:
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB as boot drive for Windows
Corsair X256 SSD for Games and such
1x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB for Downloads and random data

The OCZ is faster than the Corsair, but I bought both Samsungs to use in RAID 0 on this laptop

sigh

God damn, the contact between the Heatsink and CPU in this laptop is horrid! You can't use a simple rice/pea amount. Glad I bought extra Shin-Etsu >.>

Ugh, check FINALLY coming tomorrow. Just glad that the case isn't quite hammered out just yet, so I haven't been able to order it yet anyhow.

I had them take the hole behind the CPUs, and fill in the area behind the RAM slots, and put mounting holes for the pumps there. I'm going to grab some black bolts/nuts/screws/etc, put the pump bolts through the tray and use a bolt to hold it there, then use the pump mounting pad with the holes made bigger to cover those nuts. Then use some others to attach the pumps. This way the motherboard doesn't need to be removed to remove the pumps.

Bolt | Motherboard Tray | Nut/Pump Pad | Pump | Nut

Was the best I could come up with to keep the pumps pseudo hidden.
Plus it works well with using T-Lines on the right side of the case.

be careful you don't ground your motherboard...little bit of rubber goes a long way

Was planning on using some electrical tape, but I also repeatedly informed them I wanted the holes on the motherboard side to have a recession for the bolt heads.

make sure you pick your bolts wisely, some with a screwdriver slot would be great.

Well when I say bolts I may not be using the right word, I mean the screws with nuts that came with the pumps. Maybe just black versions of them from McMasters

oh, i thought you were gettin something special...yea, those should work methinks

So... I can't decide. Got my laptop today.

I'm torn between two different Drive setups.

First:
Corsair X256 SSD as first drive, for Windows and Games, etc.
2x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB Drives in RAID 0 for Downloads, random data, etc.

OR:
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB as boot drive for Windows
Corsair X256 SSD for Games and such
1x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB for Downloads and random data

The OCZ is faster than the Corsair, but I bought both Samsungs to use in RAID 0 on this laptop

sigh

Glad to mention SSDs, or my limited knowledge.

I had a 40G SSD as my boot drive, games and important proggies on a 150G 10,000 RPM secondary, movies and such on a 500, backups on a 750.

My 40 SSD had W7, all drivers, Office on it. Not much more. After 7 months it was down to 8G free.

I got a Vertex 2 120G recently, thread in the storage section. I'm no storage expert. The 120G holds W7, office, all drivers, ancilliarey proggies that used to be on the 150G.

Methinks a 120 or 240 or so SSD has more than enuff room for all major needs. I mention 240 because I don't know what other main proggies you use.

For me, the 120 is plenty, I still have 70G free and only Fallout 4 installed.

What about a 120G SSD and two 240 10,000 rpm in raid 0 and a 1TB to hold stuff, with room to spare for backups?

Con, that was for my $4000 gaming laptop. It only has 3 bays, and being a laptop, you can't use 10,000 RPM drives since they need 12v.

I ended up using a 50GB Vertex2 for the Boot Drive, one of the 500's for Games, and the other 500 for downloads and other random crap. I was going to use the 256GB Corsair SSD for Games and such, but it had issues, wouldn't show at boot, was getting corruption etc. So I will use the 500 for now, once I build the new Desktop, I will use 2 300GB Velociraptors in RAID 0, and use the Other 256GB Corsair they are replacing as the game drive in the laptop.

I thought about getting a Crucal RealSSD for the boot drive for the new comp, but I went with a Vertex2 instead. While it is about 60-70 MB/s slower on reads, the writes are much faster, and boot drive is the one where write speeds will likely matter the most.

Back