• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd BD better!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marjamar

Got my second BD FX-8150 installed and testing as I type. Seems to be more stable then the previous and just a bit lower temps as well. Been running Prime95 for I suppose 15 minutes now and so far max temps on socket have been 73C and cores 65C. The other BD was running up to 79C socket and 68C cores. This is using the same settings and same hardware except the CPU.

I also notice the back of the socket (back of the MB) is running much cooler as well. I have a infrared temp gun and the other CPU was running near 50C on an extended Prime95 run, this run is right now at 39C.

There is a single change I made and that is using BIOS settings for fan speed/Ramp up, and I've actually set this turbine like Delta fan lower then before using FanXpert in AI Suite II. So if anything, it should actually be a bit hotter running now.

Well, been doing a few things as I started type this, now been about 30 minutes into the run. Socket temps are still 73C max, but core temps are now 66C max. The fan is pretty stable at about 5150 to 5273, just goes up and down a bit, following core temps. This fan will turn over 6K, but as mentioned, I have settings in BIOS set to 100C core temps as max, this keeps the fan just slightly lower RPM at max, as it's just too loud at 6K.

Well, I keep this test running for maybe another hour or so, but I looks to be a fine setting for everyday use.

Here's a screen clip I took just before starting this post (about 15 minutes into the run).

second-bd_prime95_stable.jpg

-Rodger

Last edited by a moderator:
Prime95 - 1hr5m Stable @ 4.7

Had enough decibels for now, so shutdown Prime95 @ 1 hour and 5 minutes. Socket temp got up to 74C (mostly hung around 73C) and cores got up to 68C. Fan speed reached 5357 RPM, which is still quite loud for extended periods.

Since I'm not looking to break any records, just get a nice stable and usable OC, I feel pretty good with these settings. I wanted to reach 5GHz, which I did a few times with the other processor, but anything above 4.7Ghz seems pretty tough to get stable.

All in all, I'd say this is a more productive machine now, vs. when it was running with the 1090T. Maybe early next year I might buy another motherboard and see if it will go a bit faster. Then again, I might just leave well enough alone on this rig, and build a new i7 2600K.

-Rodger

My case is the Antec Lanboy Air -- As seen in my avatar. You case looks alot like some of the equipment in my company's yard, he, he.

-Rodger

Those images are too small to read the information on my 17.3" laptop. Don't try to pack so much into one screenshot please.

Those images are too small to read the information on my 17.3" laptop. Don't try to pack so much into one screenshot please.

um you can right click on the image and depending on the browser you are using you have options to view image, open image in another tab etc.. at full res.

I guess the "paperclip" icon doesn't work exactly as I expected it to. According to what IMOG (sp) said, you use this to place pictures inline at full resolution.

Anyways, what Rattle said is right. I right-click on the image and open it in a new tab using Google's Chrome browser to see the full size image.

Maybe I get it right the next time I post a pic.

-Rodger

Open in new tab grayed out in IE8 (I hate IE9 and refuse to use it, Junk! :p )

Works fine in FF8, predictably.....

Last edited:
After uploading the image with the paperclip, click on it again and it will drop down a menu. You then click on the image to put it in your post. I took care of it for you.

Glad your temps are down. You might be able to back off Vcore at least a little bit, unless the CIVE requires slightly higher than the CVF. FWIW, I managed 4.75GHz @ 1.41Vcore loaded on the CVF. It's not a huge drop, but every little bit on air will drop those temps even more. :)

Thanks for the help...

One thing I forgot to mention, the new CPU has a different batch number on it. Not sure if this is batch is somehow different from the earlier ones my other CPU was part of, but it seems to run significantly cooler, with less thermal leakage too.

-Rodger

After uploading the image with the paperclip, click on it again and it will drop down a menu. You then click on the image to put it in your post. I took care of it for you.

Glad your temps are down. You might be able to back off Vcore at least a little bit, unless the CIVE requires slightly higher than the CVF. FWIW, I managed 4.75GHz @ 1.41Vcore loaded on the CVF. It's not a huge drop, but every little bit on air will drop those temps even more. :)

I want one :(

While trying a few things in BIOS and still testing stability, I noticed disabling C State in BIOS helps keep cvolts more stable. During Prime95 torture test, it stays fully stable, as does the clocks. I think this will allow higher speed settings as not all of the cores were reacting the same during Prime95 testing, now the passes seem to be much closer on their timing to one another.

This new BD replacement CPU is doing far better then the original BD. Again, not sure if it's because it's from a different batch, or if it's just happens to be better. Either way, I'm sure glad I asked for a replacement.

-Rodger

Last edited:
Here's a 2 hour run of Prime95. Seems that disabling C6 is a good idea on the CHIVE with the Bulldozer CPU. Temps are just fine as well.

-Rodger

new BD with C6 disabled long Prime95 run - Fully Stable.PNG

Last edited:
Well I'm at 4.8Ghz and stable now. Spent some time this morning tweaking a few BIOS settings and added some more tweaks in SpeedFan and now have a very nice/quiet and very fast machine. Got memory down to 7-10-9-24-41-1T and still carrying right at 260 buss speed. Multiplier is at 18.5 and vcore is 1.5+ with CPU and CPU/NB LLC on Full (100%).

I had a number of different setting when stable at 4.6Ghz, but need to go to Full LLC and actually dropped CPU offset voltage to max yellow (safe zone) to keep vcore at a safe max voltage. SpeedFan is pretty well optimized now as well. At idle or just above, the Delta radiator fan spins a unnoticeable 1600RPM. When socket temps get above 43C it starts to escalate up a fairly linear rate to max-out the full 6000 RPM's at 60C. It's plenty loud at high loads, but it's necessary as socket temps will go all the way to about 59C under Prime95 torture test.

All in all, this may be the ceiling (or very near) for my setup. If and when I purchase another M/B with the 990FX chipset I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't get to a near stable 5Ghz. Might need more cooling, but other then that holding me back, I don't think anything else would.

Nice overclock for me.

-Rodger

Added - Here's a pic of current settings. Notice the custom fan speed profile I've setup.

4807Mhz @ 7-10-9-24-41-1T @ 260 x 18.5 stable.PNG

Last edited:
Back