• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 Folding Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
First off, zomg look at this 3960X fold at stock on the Rampage IV Extreme. Wow that's a lotta PPD.

3960X-folding-v7.jpg

Now on to the real problem. V7 doesn't seem to like the 7970 for testing.

fah-no7970.png

This might well be a known problem but I couldn't find anything on F@H forums or here. Maybe it's an ATI thing, who knows...not me b/c I've not folded a GPU in forever and a day.

Anyone know how to get this thing folding so we can see how it does? I'm familiar with the old method of doing things (wrote this forever ago), so if you tell me I must go that route and link me to a similar post for GPUs if it's different I'd be grateful.

This whole V7 thing is pretty sweet though. F@H has needed an easy-to-use GUI like this for way too long. Good to see them coming around. Anyway...help!!

Maybe when AMD went to the "Graphics Core Next" architecture, it is not yet supported by F@H. :shrug:

Digging around here there is not much out on the 7970, but this could be the issue:

According to Anandtech, the new AMD Radeons have more "standard" compute units. Because F@H was tuned specifically for the old Radeons, the new Radeons can't (or really poorly) run F@H atm. We'll have to wait for Stanford to push out a new version of the program for the new Radeons. According to the other benches though, looks like the HD 7970 is a compute beast. Then again, according to the charts, so were the old Radeons.

Last edited:
The 7970 isn't whitelisted yet. If it were, it will take an optimized core to gain anything from it. It's believed that at best the 7000 series would be no better than the 6000 series, and might be worse on the current cores. Work is just starting on a new FAHCore to utilize the new cards, but there is no ETA.

Also, please note that before you publish FAH production numbers from v7 in a front page article, you should check them with the SMP bonus calculator. v7 isn't the best at correctly reporting either TPF or PPD. It might be right on the WU you posted.

Last edited:
Not to put down the SB-E, very nice processor you have there, the 800x projects yield really good ppd, much better than say P790x. P7611 is the worst I've seen, almost halving ppd of more "average" work units.

The 7970 isn't whitelisted yet. If it were, it will take an optimized core to gain anything from it. It's believed that at best the 7000 series would be no better than the 6000 series, and might be worse on the current cores. Work is just starting on a new FAHCore to utilize the new cards, but there is no ETA.
Im curious why that would be? Part of the 7 series architecture is a notably stronger compute section which I assume F@H would use. Is that a poor assumption?

Also, please note that before you publish FAH production numbers from v7 in a front page article, you should check them with the SMP bonus calculator. v7 isn't the best at correctly reporting either TPF or PPD. It might be right on the WU you posted.
Thank you. That belief is really surprising to me. They designed graphics core next for computing and it computes graphics tasks (tessellation, MSAA) much more strongly than the GTX580 does. It's hard to believe they can't find a way of taking advantage of all that power.

EDIT - Heh, looks like I'm not the only one on that wavelength. :thup:

EDIT II - Looks like I'm out of luck for now; these are only whitelisted in a private beta, which I'm not eligible for unfortunately.
The best candidates are those who have been folding for a while and have experience with this forum, F@h clients, FahCores, WUs, Servers, etc. Thus we will check your user history. Those who participate regularly in this forum either by asking questions or helping others tend to get priority over those who rarely post, simply because it shows your willingness to be an active member within the F@h Community. If you just joined this forum and/or have very few posts, your request post should distinguish you as to why you would be a good addition to the Beta Team. Please note that if you don't plan to stick with it, we would prefer that you do not join. If this is your first visit to our forum, you are not eligible for membership to the Beta Team.
(Emphasis mine.) I spent many an hour there back in the day but it was always for searching for answers. We had our own folding forum to actually ask and answer the questions. I used to fold extensively for the abit folding team (RIP abit) and had 1.75million points when points were much harder to get than today. Currently, however, it seems I'm not eligible to be a beta tester. Sorry to disappoint. Hopefully they'll bring 7.1.42 to a public beta sometime soon.

Last edited:
The 7000 series aren't whitelisted in any iteration of version 7. So, being a member of beta testers wouldn't help a bit in testing the card(s). They will be listed in a future release.

Thanks ChasR. Looks like we're stuck waiting. That's unfortunate, I had hoped to get some numbers for you guys. Shelnutt is working on something for me though. If he gets anywhere I'll be sure to let you know!

I will post the manual whitelist proceedure when it's available. If I'm slow, it should show up on the 7.1.43 thread on FF today.

Isn't there a flag you can enter in the FAH shortcut to force a GPU recognition, such as -r600??

Ouch...if true, that baffles me considering all the extra compute power it has over the 6 series.

Does that PPD beat a 6970 at least?

Yikes. Well, if they want them used they'll need to code for the card it looks like. Sorry to see that kind of disappointment though. They do so much better at graphics computing (tessellation / msaa), I had high hopes.

Mark Houston of ATi/AMD has said it will take an optimized FAH core to get everything out of the 7xxx series. I'm not sure that's any different than the optimized core that's been needed for since GPU2, but lets hope it is.

Back