• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Newegg Sales

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL Today's joke is this turntable system. Man, are people still spinning vinyl? That's like computer nerds still using floppy drives. :facepalm:

I have tons of records, yes. And to be honest, it isn't remotely like your analogy. The sound that comes from a quality turn table and subsequent system can arguably be better than today's compressed mediums that people listen to today.

My suggestion is to look up lossless recording. In the meantime: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

I still have all my records also, but they're in the basement in storage. I would argue sound quality all day. CD's, reel to reel and digital media hands down delivers a better sound.

LOL, to each their own. Records are lossless, CD's and Digital media are compressed. Not sure about reel to reel...

LOL

Yeah, my dad has a massive collection of albums...haven't seen him use his turntable in at least 5 years though. Too bad you can't get Dubstep on vinyls. :p

Hey now, I still have a turntable! I actually considered buying Trivium's Vengeance Falls on vinyl when I saw it was an option.

They still have the email that previews the shell shocker? I switched my email accounts a year ago and they just stopped sending me those. I get everything else though.

LOL, to each their own. Records are lossless, CD's and Digital media are compressed. Not sure about reel to reel...

Indeed to each their own, as for decades all media start out in the same form. In a way, records are also lossy as they are not a 1:1 equal of the original multi-track recordings done and mixed in a studio at the same quality as the original masters. All media is nothing more then a lossy copy of the original master. Digital media though, doesn't suffer from the same "noise" from contamination (dirt, dust) on the playing surface that records do, cause lets face it, unless you're spinning your records in a clean room, there will be something getting in the grooves that affect the final audio coming out of your speakers. And btw, CD's are not lossy, but lossless. :beer:

Back on track, that GTX770 is indeed very tempting, but I'm waiting for the 780s to come down to the same price once the TI variants are released.

CD's are not lossy, but lossless. :beer:

FYI, when somebody says CDs are not lossless, they're not referring to an inability to get an exact copy of the data on the CD. They're referring to the degradation of quality made in the studio to fit audio on a CD. Technically, all formats other than the original master recording are lossy (and even that is lossy compared to reality); it's just that CDs are the worst offender among current formats. Vinyl, DVDA, and SACD all allow significantly more audio data to be stored. This is all a wee bit off topic, anyway :)

Last edited:
FYI, when somebody says CDs are not lossless, they're not referring to an inability to get an exact copy of the data on the CD. They're referring to the degradation of quality made in the studio to fit audio on a CD.
You are referring (as did I) to the same degradation used when transferring to any consumer media for mass production. Records are not immune to this type of degradation either, as even in the late 70's studios were already dabbling in that newfangled digital audio recording technology, which meant that the master multi-track recording was done digitally, then remixed, downsampled, and then finally converted into analog for records...

Technically, all formats other than the original master recording are lossless (and even that is lossy compared to reality)
Which you pretty much pointed out again. :p

But yes, we are getting waaaaaay off topic. :beer:

Indeed to each their own, as for decades all media start out in the same form. In a way, records are also lossy as they are not a 1:1 equal of the original multi-track recordings done and mixed in a studio at the same quality as the original masters. All media is nothing more then a lossy copy of the original master. Digital media though, doesn't suffer from the same "noise" from contamination (dirt, dust) on the playing surface that records do, cause lets face it, unless you're spinning your records in a clean room, there will be something getting in the grooves that affect the final audio coming out of your speakers. And btw, CD's are not lossy, but lossless. :beer:

Back on track, that GTX770 is indeed very tempting, but I'm waiting for the 780s to come down to the same price once the TI variants are released.

I don't think I've ever seen the 4GB versions on sale before.

Back