• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advanc3 N00b (build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scout

Back story: I built my old rig over several years and was never really happy with it. 960t, MSI 790fx-GD-70 and 6950. I went trough several cases and processors before that point. Now that I have a better job and need something to take my mind off school I present to you "Advanc3 N00b". I have never water cooled anything but I know what not to do at least. :D The reason I chose water is because I want that 3570k to scream for mercy!!!!!!!

THE MEAT

ASUS DCII 7970 TOP = $300
AsRock Extreme4 Z77 = $120
Kingwin Lazer 850w platinum = Already had
2x2 2000 dominator gt
HAF 932 = Already had

Total = $625

THE POTATOES

D5 pump = 50

Koolance CPU-360
FesserXchanger 360
EK dual bay spin reservoir = $105 for all 3

3x delta tfb1212ghe = $60
Sunbeam fan controller (we will see how long it lasts) =$12
EK full cover block for the 7970 =$125
2x 12" UV cold cathodes $10

Total cost to build 362+625=$987 So far, not to bad

Lets get this started ! - Most things are ordered and will be coming in within the next 2 weeks. This is pretty much a budget build and the only new things are the CPU+Motherboard.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Making progress couldn't help my self I had to throw the board in there but it has to come out ultimately to put the cpu-360 water block on this weekend.

IMG-20121031-00510.jpg
I guess the 30w fan controller will survive for little while with these Delta TFB1212GHE's. I am gonna keep an 80mm fan on the controller because its gonna get really hot.
IMG-20121101-00512.jpg
IMG-20121101-00514.jpg

Last edited:
IMG-20121106-00536.jpg

Progress ! Traded my 3750k for a 3770k and picked 2 sets of ram Dominator GT's 2000 and Kingston Hyper's. both 4gb kits.

Nice buddy!, I might start on a project like this when I have some spare cash. Also nice shoe in pic1 (;

Thanks its a pretty small apartment, now that I got the build mostly finished I cleaned up my room !

Its all wrapped up and wired now I just need to grab the 3770k from Orlando this weekend and fire it up. Hopefully it works.

IMG-20121108-00542.jpg :thup:

I really hope it boots when I hit the on button and dosent meltdown.

I got it from Anandtech classifieds along with the cpu block, res and tube. Got a great deal that made this whole project possible !

Nice nice yeh not much comes close to this thing and I don't think anything really hands down beats it. Plus the bleed hole is pretty nice to have. It's to bad they stopped making these.

Got the 3770k from Convicted1 this weekend its installing win8 at the moment. I had a few problems with getting the board to post with tany of my gfx cards tryed a 7970,7950GT and a gtx 260 so I had to go with IGP to get it going.

Edit: just had a major freakout installing win8 off to try again.

I noticed which Ek block you got and just a word of warning make sure you run a coolant with anti corrosive in it. Ek's warranty makes you ship the broken parts back to the seller which for frozencpu is fine but for some means no warranty at all.

I use distilled and its a bare copper block too so that shouldn't be too big of an issue hopefully. The 7970 is out of commission though not sure whats up with it cant get anything to post with it.

THE 7970 is ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't really know what happened the i/o shield must have been interfering with the card seating in the slot or the backplate was shorting out somewhere. What matters now is I know it actually works lol

Any ideas on how to get dual channel to work for the ram in this board ? if I try to use both channels it wont post.

I believe I have the exact same case. I need info. On doing this for cheap. I want to use this case but willing to put in one of my premade benching stations. I need to cool AMD 965 black, and two 5770s ATI videos cards in Crossfire.

Last edited:
What kinda info do you need ? let me know I can answer any questions you have. If you want to do it cheap you have to be patient lol I scored alot of deals trading and buying used.

Its basically finished now just switching out the hard drives as funds allow. probably going to try and get a ASUS MVE for the gpu hotwire ability eventually.
IMG-20121117-00552.jpg
IMG-20121108-00542.jpg

Back