• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching To Intel Port From Marvell Makes No Change...SSD Still A Bit Slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sure, gotta try or you'll never know. Would have probably worked for 99% of people.
I used SIW and exported an HTML that contains seemingly all of my hardware information. I'm attaching it in a zip file. Not sure if this is generally an accepted way to communicate specs, but it seems REALLY comprehensive.

Please don't waste too much time on this issue....every word everyone's given me so far on this forums is basically good samaritanship, and it's totally cool of you guys.

Attachments

• Hardware.zip
    46.9 KB · Views: 14
OK Matt after what you said, i installed the software off the Samsung Disk and i wish i never did!! Because it took me the best part of 2 hours to get my SSD back working as it was before. Yep i think the problem lies with the software on Samsung Magic only its not magic, its dangerous. If you changed any thing in the OS Optimization then that is the problem Area, that needs to be left well alone!! Luckily i remembered what i had changed and put it back to where it was before and hey presto the drive came back as before. But i tell you Members it scared the living daylights out of me, i thought for one moment my new Samsung had died. So Matt i will post these Photo's and give you a run through with them!!

In Photo no 1 this is the most crucial area, if you change any of these recommended settings, the performance just Dies!! As i said above i did manage to reset them back and it made my drive work properly again.

Snap 2013-09-05 at 15.58.00.jpg

On Disk drive and Performance Benchmark these i found to have no ill effects on the Drive and is Safe to use.

Snap 2013-09-05 at 15.58.52.jpg

On OP i would say leave this alone as i found this did make a slight bit of difference to the benchmarks when applied to the drive. Once i disabled this and returned as normal it did help my scores here!!

Snap 2013-09-05 at 15.59.10.jpg

As you can see i ran 3 Tests after and confirmed my SSD Drive was back to normal. Sadly when things went badly wrong i forgot to take a screen shot.

But i can say the 4K SECTOR in READ and WRITE VITUALLY stopped working and the score was 6 WRITE 10 READ!! The final Score at the Bottom was about 400 compared to now at 1032!!

So its my own Conclusions that the software in the first Photo post is the main problem and causes the SSD to stop working at its optimum speeds.

Respect,

AJ. ;) :salute:

Attachments

• Snap 2013-09-05 at 15.56.07.jpg
    Snap 2013-09-05 at 15.56.07.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 66
OK, I've matched your Samsung Magician settings. (oddly, the only one I can't is the hibernation enable/disable. Mine is on disable and claims changing it to enable is 'unsuccessful')
Same benchmark results though.
Do you think I should uninstall Samsung Magician?
also, here is a thought..
reading up on another similar situation, how about this.... When I installed windows fresh (last week) I installed to my new SSD attached to the 6G Marvell port. Then I attached a secondary HDD for storage. THEN, I read that the Marvell port was a bad idea, so I switched the SSD to one of the 6G intel ports.
I'm hoping that switching to a different port is OK after install, and that the speed of the new port can be utilized without installing windows fresh, again....
Do you think that even though I'm plugged into the intel 6g port, it's somehow using, or "remembering" the Marvell port?

What also i found out after my post is that darn software is still trying to change things when running in the background. Even after i had reset the settings to what i wanted, to get my SSD working properly. It still doing its thing, so i uninstalled it and threw it into the Trash bin and that is that. As they good riddens to bad rubbish!! AJ.

You do know that constant testing in and of itself will slow down your drive, right? It will only speed up after the TRIM and GC commands have gone through. Its still worth it to try and uninstall that software to see if it really is the culprit, but banging on a drive in back to back testing like that didn't help the cause. :)

OK i don't wish to rubbish this SSD, because its great and works perfectly for me. Its just the software on the disk that caused all the problems for me. And i can only go by what has happened to me today, ever since i got rid of the software the SSD is perfect. AJ. ;) :thup:

P.S. All i was trying to do is tell the Members who is thinking about using the Disk, to be careful and be aware there is pitfalls and problems. :attn:

I get what you were trying to do. I am just letting you know some of the reasons it may not be the software (and it very well could be!)...

Anyone can fish by throwing a grenade in a lake in all. ;)

Ok I am getting closer to the problem.
I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Yes I know, i should have before) and my SSD is not showing up on the list on the right.
So.....I dunno.....I will double check that my SSD is going into the Intel port and not the Marvell. Would be strange as it would literally have to be a case of my eyes deceiving me, which I doubt, but I'll double check tonight. I'll also try a different Sata cable.

IRST isnt really important unless you plan on caching ur ssd to ur hdd. and if you dont see ur ssd in the IRST panel then I'm betting it aint setup for achi or raid.

best thing is to

1) make sure its on the intel sata port.
2) make sure bios is set for achi BUT most importantly before changing bios to achi (if its not already) is make sure the ssd has achi support drivers on board prior to changing bios, cause if not it will not boot once changed to achi,

heres a method of changing to achi post install for the drive to work before changing it in bios

Instruction: There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing.
The detailed steps from Microsoft website are as follows:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\msahci
In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2vhJAPm7CgU/S0USG4OqEbI/AAAAAAAAE4w/OTgP3KFXVv4/IDE to AHCI.jpg

In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_2vhJAPm7CgU/S0USHLFLRYI/AAAAAAAAE40/8S10HqEF6mY/IDE to AHCI modify.jpg

On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
Restart your computer
Go to BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot
Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

heres a screen shot of your bios sata configuration screen showing where to setup achi and what nots http://images.pugetsystems.com/gall...oard/Asus-P8P67-M-Pro-REV-3-0-7483/157672.jpg

Last edited:
I have actually been though this process. The Sata is set to ACHI in my bios, and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\msahci - start is set to 0, not 3.
I will go check the port again...I am going to be apologizing my butt off if it's in the wrong slot.

I've definitively figured out the problem.

I'm an idiot and I have no business plugging anything into anything. That's the problem.

Followed the cables with my eyes yesterday, twice, and yet I managed to allow my HDD into a 6GB/s and my SDD into a 3GB/s.

switched, used Intel rapid storage technology, and getting around 505MB/s read times, which is about advertised speeds.

Again, deepest apologies to anyone who wasted time on this.

This community is amazingly learned, and very patient with a guy who is clearly an amateur...namely myself.

-matt

IRST isnt really important unless you plan on caching ur ssd to ur hdd. and if you dont see ur ssd in the IRST panel then I'm betting it aint setup for achi or raid.

IRST is basically the Intel Chipset drivers (X58 for my board for instance). It installs a little watcher program that isn't really needed unless you're running a RAID setup on those ports. The main part is the drivers for the chipset which are usually needed for the best speed from the Intel SATA ports, instead of using the Microsoft supplied drivers.

Back