• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.1a + GU370 + SA6R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Yo,

Finally its here after 3 long weeks of waiting for my 1.1a celeron and GU370 from Stratton Computers to arrive here in NZ.
I put this baby in and fired it up at 1.46ghz right away and it loaded into winXP. I thought that ever thing was sweet, but I was wrong. Seem that the voltage is locked in place and I could not change it(1.475). Not only that the next time I tryed to boot nothing happened but a blank screen. Now every time I try and change any settings I have to take out the processor out, start the computer with no processor in it and then put back the 1.1 in.
There has been only a couple of time during the 50 odd times I have powered down and up again I was successfully able to change the voltage(don't ask me how I did this, im am still trying to figure this one out). Sometimes I can't even change the FSB in the BIOS, that to is staying locked at 133mhz no matter where I set to. I have reset the CMOS numberous times now. Really weird how this is all operating. BIOS posting screen reports all sorts of crazy low numbers like 699 (299x3).

At first I increased voltage at 1.55v and was able to run 3dmark at 1.5ghz, play half hour of quake3 and a few sisoft benchies. I went to work leaving it just on idle at the desktop and it had blanked out when I got home.

Today I run 1.65v then used cpuFSB and pushed it upto 1.6ghz, run a few sisoft's and it only made half way through 3dmark. MBM5 reported that the voltage was moving in between 1.65-1.60 and temp at 51 when load, sisoft had this at 56.
Just a note about that voltage drop with 3 different chips, 2 mainboards, 2 power supplys that I always get the voltage dropping -0.05 from where ever its set to.

I am only using the stock intel heat sink and now have stuck a case fan on top of it with some rubber bands to improve air flow it has drop the temp only slighty. As I understand the 1.1a has a thermal diode built into the processor. With that im using Arctic Silver 1. When running 1.6ghz @ 1.65v it was very hot to touch.
I didn't bother to try the GU370 heat sink because it looked smaller/worse than the stock intel one. Is this ture or should I use the GU370 heatsinkwith its small loud 5000rpm fan. Loud fans aint worth it.

It don't seem to like 1.46ghz because it can crash or BSOD. When its at 1.475v, and as I said the voltage does drop alittle, especailly under load. So im writing this thread at 1.26ghz to be on the safe side.

If I can get it again to go higher voltage what would be safe to take it to with my current cooling setup with out causing to much damage and getting it stable.

Heres the processor specs. I think I got a dud. :

PROD CODE: BX80530F1100256SL5ZE

MM #: 839626

FPO/BATCH #: 7220A518

VERSION #: A73066-003

PACK DATE: 06/13/02

opps, that wasnt suppost to happen, anyhow here is the update content.

I been tinkering around for many hours and have found that if I set the cpu option in the BIOS to a 1.46 CPU then it has the right mutliplier of 11x. After that I set the 100/133 speed option to 133, and then I can set the voltage. This is the only way I can get the voltage to actually change when my PC boots.

Now I can post everytime without having to remove my processor from the soklet each time it doesn't post/total blank out. The only problem is I have to wait about 5-10 mintues before it displays the processor speed(still wrong) and the memory test. After all that waiting it finally boots into winXP. From there I can ramp up the CPU speed and FSB using the CPUFSB program.

Right I have been running it for 5 hours playing UT2003 and doing other stuff/tests at 1.55ghz @ 1.70v ,this drops down as low as 1.65v , I think its a OK CPU after all. I did try the max voltage my board will give me 1.75v @ 1.6ghz earlier on but after about 30-60 mintues it crashed to desktop while running quake3. To see how far it would go anyhow I pushed it upto 1.65ghz, didn't try anything with that speed though even though the mouse pointer was still moving. Further still I pushed it to 1.7ghz and that when my system locked up, at that speed my stock cooling wouldn't cut it, especially with a voltage that drops from 1.75 to 1.70 and also my 2x256 ram was set to it maxium settings so I don't think it can take 155fsb and even 145fsb might be alittle hard on it. It use to do 145fsb in my bx133 but that was with a input/output setting of 3.7v ,unfortunally this SA6R has no such setting. the 256 corsair XMS150 might cut it but the 256 legend(rated cas333) won't go that far. Another problem was that at 155fsb I couldn't step the PCI divider down, which if I was able to use the user define option in the BIOS for setting up my CPU then I could get the 1/5 to effectivily kick in over 140+fsb range.
I think now I need a bigger heat sink. Im not sure if its worth spending more money for a extra 50-100mhz since a good heat sink here in New Zealand is 2/3 of the CPU cost. If I get one like a alpha, hopefully I can stick a case fan on it to keep noise down. It said it can take a 80cm fan so I think thats a case fan size.

dude, that is weird....i have virtually the same set up----but i don't understand what you mean----do you mean you set the fsb and the voltage on the slot-t to 133 and 1.65 and then altered them in the bios or what?

Hmmm... I have an SA6R (not with a Tualatin), and I've never had to do that. I assume you're using the pin trick on this thing. Maybe time for a BIOS flash? Definitely sounds like something's screwy during boot up, even if it's the same version BIOS you're flashing to, it might not hurt.

lol, if it were that easy I wouldn't be doing all this.
I don't have the slot T, only the GU370 model made by upgradeware which is only for socket 370 mainboards. By default the GU370 is set at 1.475v and has no selectors to change voltage. Each time you boot your machine the GU370 sets the voltage. Thats why I have to do all the strange stuff to get it to do what I want. As for the waiting to boot, that could be because my capacitors are looking in real bad shape around the cpu socket?, even although I have no trouble with my 800EB which is 133, maybe it because it draws alot more watts at 1460mhz. I have also found that if I set the BIOS to 1.1ghz CPU then it will boot with out any waiting. Everytime I turn the computer off or even restart I have to set the voltage back up within the BIOS or the reverts back to 1.475v no matter which setting on use on the cpu.
Yep, no pin trick here. I have the latest BIOS and works without a hitch using coppermine cpu's.

Heres a basic break down of whats happening.
BIOS settings:

1.1ghz ,cpu setting - will post, then boot immediatally
1.46ghz, cpu setting - very long wait at the energy star screen then boots
User define option - Often will not post most times, just get a blank screen, especially at 133fsb, this option I find that I cannot get the system working again without removing and replacing cpu.

Burn in:

Can some tell me the best way to burn in this cpu? I have been reading, but comments and articals differ alot.
I have set the voltage at 1.75v and the speed at the default 1.1ghz , then I ran CPU Burn-in v1.1 with error checking off for 8 hours. Would this be the right way of doing it? Low mhz with high voltage? After some more burn in I hope that I can forget about change voltage to make 1.46ghz and then I will only have to put up with the wait to boot. Also would like to hit that 1.6ghz stable.

Temps:

I don't know which temp reading is the correct one. SiSoftware Sandra will give me high readings and Motherboard Monitor will give me low readings. The difference between the two programs and range from 6C +

Back