• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.8a + BD7II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metra

I'm planning on getting a new comp and i need some advice. So far, this is what i have:

CPU: 1.8a
Mobo: Abit BD7II
RAM: 512 xms pc3000
HD: 2 40's

If i get lucky, what kind of oc would i get? 2.5? or more? Since i never visited this section, ive got a couple of questions. Are all the chips the same or do i have to worry about steppings (like i have to in the amd section). What kind of heatsink or fan should i get? Stock? Do i really need xms pc3000... its so expensive. Is it worth it to get rdram or would it be too much of a hassle to switch to ddr when rdram finally falls (my prediction). Is this system (overclocked) better than an xp1600 overclocked to two gigs? Would the mobo handle pc3000? cas2 or cas2.5?

And when ocing a pentium, do you just raise the fsb? Nothing else involved?

i would go with rdram if i had the chance to do it all over again.

most p4's are pretty much the same. you don't have all the millions of steppings like AMD does.

i would suggest corsair xms pc3500 if going DDR.

rdram is quite a bit faster than ddr. AZN's 1.8a system and mine were pretty identical except he had rdram and a ti4200 while i had ddr and a ti4400... our scores were about the same even though i had the better video card.

you can get a brand new TH7II on ebay for fairly cheap ~75 bucks then 2 sticks of samsung 256mb rdram for about 200 bucks.
remember with rdram you hafta have 2 sticks except the latest mobos that will allow 1 stick.

Last edited:
Holy cow fast response. But wouldnt i want to get pc3000 and bd7II like you did to get that good oc? Or would that oc be even better if you had rdram? What heatsink and fan did you use?

metra said:
Holy cow fast response. But wouldnt i want to get pc3000 and bd7II like you did to get that good oc? Or would that oc be even better if you had rdram? What heatsink and fan did you use?
fast response :)

you can get just as good cpu overclocks using rdram too.

your overall score would be better with rdram.

i'm using the stock intel heatsink/fan modified to run at full speed.

Im leaning towards the it7 now, but why stay away form the bd7ii? This is such an old post too.

I have a BD7-II and it is the budget killer. I use a 1.6a on my machine but a 1.8a is all the better. Lets take your questions one at a time.

metra said:

If i get lucky, what kind of oc would i get? 2.5? or more?
And when ocing a pentium, do you just raise the fsb? Nothing else involved?
Almost 100 percent chance of 2.7GHz (150fsb). You do indeed just raise the FSB. You will need to set the CPU voltage to the maximum +15% setting on the BD7-II. This produces 1.64 volts on my BD7-II, just about right. You also set the cpu to ram ratio to 3:4, and max the memory voltage, 2.7V on the BD7-II. Set the timing to 2-7-3-3 and crank the FSB up till she fails. You should be able to get 155-162MHz FSB at 3:4 with the right ram. 3GHz takes 167 FSB, which is hard to do without vid-pin modding the CPU and modding the motherboard for increased voltage on the memory. (2.9-3.1V). The IT7 series board will put 3V on the memory, but also require the vid-pin mod for increased CPU voltage. The TH7-II is the same way.

metra said:

Are all the chips the same or do i have to worry about steppings (like i have to in the amd section)
The early C1 1.8a and 2.4b's haven't proven to any better at all, except in rare cases. I tried a late B0 step 2.4b on my BD7-II, and it did 3006MHz at 1.64V. Late 1.8a B0's may do just as well, and almost certain attain 2.8GHz. No reason to pick and choose, the older B0's are good and the new C1's have gone 3.5GHz in some cases.

metra said:

What kind of heatsink or fan should i get? Stock?
Stock does pretty well at the 1.64V limit of the BD7-II. But you can get the Excellent Thermalright AX-478 heatsink and use whatever 80mm fan you like best. The two together are less than 40 bucks so it does make a nice upgrade. Mine (w/2900rpm 37cfm fan) knocked 5C off the temps versus the stock cooler.

metra said:

Do i really need xms pc3000... its so expensive. Is it worth it to get rdram
There is a proven budget alternative. Get the Kingston Value Ram PC2700, it uses the same chips as the Corsair PC3200. You can run 160-162MHz fsb on the BD7-II at 2-7-3-3 timing on the actual 2.65V. It costs a mere 127.50 from googlegear I believe for a 512MB stick. With a 1.8 running at 2.9GHz the 161MHz FSB runs the ram at 430MHz, allowing RDRAM-like performance for peanuts.

metra said:

Is this system (overclocked) better than an xp1600 overclocked to two gigs?
Yes. It is quicker. It requires an AMD 2400-2800+ chip to compete. 2250-2400MHz brings an Athlon XP to the speed level of the 2.9GHz P4 described above. The intel system will be rock solid stable and effortlessly fast. It will run cooler and require less fan noise. It's a really nice combo and to my mind the best value in overclocking. 90 dollar board plus 130 dollar RAM and a 145 dollar CPU adds up to a value no one can beat.

And BTW, Maxvla if you stick a 1.8 in your machine instead of your 1.6a you will pick up enough to bring it into parity with AZN's RDRAM rig with the video card normalized. Although benchmarks are the means rather than the end you know from you PCMark testing DDR is not at a severe disadvantage against RDRAM.

The IT7 is a nice board too, but the BD7-II will do the same job. Either is a good way to a nice overclock. The Albatron 845pe board at 85 bucks will serve well also, and trim a few dollar off the project from even the BD7-II. One user has his running at 205MHz fsb with an unlocked ES P4.

Last edited:
This thread was from last October.

I was all ready to buy an Abit IT7 Max2 version 2.0 until I saw benchmarks of it going head to head against a RDRAM system. Now I'm keeping my TH7-II and RDRAM for a while longer. DDR is good, but they still can't beat the RDRAM... yet. I'm sure they will within a few months.

DDR systems do have trouble beating RDRAM scores, but the point is they are in the same league and can be accomplished for peanuts. Some things do go faster on a DDR rig, like SETI. Considering a 845pe Albatron, 512MB of ram, and 1.8a can give you 2.7-2.9 GHz for just over 350 bucks, it's quite an achievement. You have seen the new 3DMark world record holder, haven't you :)

22103.JPG

batboy said:
This thread was from last October.

I was all ready to buy an Abit IT7 Max2 version 2.0 until I saw benchmarks of it going head to head against a RDRAM system. Now I'm keeping my TH7-II and RDRAM for a while longer. DDR is good, but they still can't beat the RDRAM... yet. I'm sure they will within a few months.

Yes, eventually new chipsets will emerge that can provide even better performance. Springdale (DC DDR333/DDR400) is such a candidate. These boards are still about 8 months off though. Who knows what may happen in the mean time.

Currently, RDRAM is unbeaten- on par with GB and above the SC chipsets. It will be interesting to see how far the .13 RDRAM can overclock by the way.

Very interesting thread, since I am in somewhat of the same boat as Metra.

I still have a 1.8A-C1 from a Dell PC that will do 3.0GHz on stock volts and stock Intel heatsink/fan.
I went through two i845GE mobo's (Epox and Gigabyte) that had to be returned due to build flaws - just my bad luck is all, I think. The DDR RAM (Corsair XMS3200-C2) was accepted for return also.

So, now I'm kinda back at square one.

Why wouldn't you turn to a motherboard with the newer PE/GE chipset?
Assuming about the same price, why not? :confused:

arklab said:
Very interesting thread, since I am in somewhat of the same boat as Metra.

I still have a 1.8A-C1 from a Dell PC that will do 3.0GHz on stock volts and stock Intel heatsink/fan.
I went through two i845GE mobo's (Epox and Gigabyte) that had to be returned due to build flaws - just my bad luck is all, I think. The DDR RAM (Corsair XMS3200-C2) was accepted for return also.

So, now I'm kinda back at square one.

Why wouldn't you turn to a motherboard with the newer PE/GE chipset?
Assuming about the same price, why not? :confused:

at this time I'm using the P4PE from asus....

it's a good mobo with a great chipset.

the nice thing about it is that you have an extra mem ratio of 4/5...
real nice to have if you can't use 3/4.

anyway, right now I've got my memory at about pc940 rdram speeds....about what I had with my pc800 rdram.

please don't make me brag about DDR memory....I'm still an rdram fan and my rdram friends here might not talk to me anymore.:p

mica

Back