• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 1 network, internet fine, 2 networks, no internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I bow before the great networking gods once again.

Basically, I'm trying to get on 2 networks, my colleges network and then I have a router in my room that's disconnected from the schools network and the internet altogether and it has my NAS connected to it. I have an ethernet cable running from my onboard ethernet port to the schools network. I just got an Intel PCI ethernet card that's connected to my router.

When both are enabled, I can connect to the NAS and the web interface of my personal router just fine and windows is showing that yes, I'm connected to the internet through the schools network. But when I try actually connecting to the internet, through FF or anything really can't connect. When I disable the Intel PCI card so I'm just on the schools network through onboard, I can connect fine.

I had a similar problem when I was back at home. I'd have a USB wifi card connecting to the internet through one router and then connecting to my NAS through onboard ethernet and my router. Whenever I had the onboard port enabled and plugged in, I couldn't get online even with Windows showing a decent wifi connection and internet access.

Is there some setting I have to change? Does automatically Windows try to connect to the fastest connection for internet (my router has gigabit ethernet and the dorms here have 100mb)? Am I screwed?

Thanks in advance.

First off, I see no need for a router...

You have two NICS in one PC...

On board goes to your schools network which will assign you an IP address and the other 2 you make static on both, the add-in NIC and NAS device.

Or

Connect the Schools network to the WAN port on the router, and you'll be routing non-routable IP's... Just make sure the schools network is different than the router.. Pretty funky actually.. It does work! Enable DHCP and your done. Then you could connect your NAS and PC right to the router/switch. Return the second NIC you just bought.

Bingo!

On board goes to your schools network which will assign you an IP address and the other 2 you make static on both, the add-in NIC and NAS device.

Or

Connect the Schools network to the WAN port on the router, and you'll be routing non-routable IP's... Just make sure the schools network is different than the router.. Pretty funky actually.. It does work! Enable DHCP and your done. Then you could connect your NAS and PC right to the router/switch. Return the second NIC you just bought.

Bingo!

I would just get rid of the router if it was just my PC and NAS, but I also sometimes connect my laptop and PS3 to the NAS, so it's easier to have the NAS plugged into a router and the other things also sometimes linked to it.

Also we're not supposed to have personal routers on the schools network or I would have done just that. Not even sure if we're allowed to have NASes/servers on the schools network. It's why I brought my own and want to keep it separate.

Or

Bingo!

I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU HOOK UR ROUTER TO THE SCHOOLS NETWORK. its more than likely against the pollicy and they WILL find out and will shut your net off completly.

So let me get this striaght

School network > nic port 1

nic port 2 > router > nas

i had a similar setup with mine for awhile... the problem lies with multiple default gateways... took me awhile to figure out the solution, but it has to do with metrics.

(assuming win 7 / vista... should work on xp too)
go to control panel > networking and sharing center > change adapter settings

Now right click on the nic thats NOT connected to the internet... the one you have for your router / nas > properties

highlight "internet protocol version 4" then click the properties button. on the bottom of the window that pops up click advanced, uncheck Auto Metric, and put in a value of 2000 (the value doesnt matter but it just has to be a higher value that the other nic... so if you put in a large value like 2000 u wont ever have to mess with your other nic)

Click ok and ok... you should be back at the nic's properties window, highlight Internet protocol version 6, click properties, click advanced, uncheck auto metric, and put in the same value you put in above... 2000, click ok, ok, and close, and restart the comp.

and you should be good.

All the same holds true if you were say using wifi to connect to the schools net, and ethernet to connect to your router .

I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU HOOK UR ROUTER TO THE SCHOOLS NETWORK. its more than likely against the pollicy and they WILL find out and will shut your net off completly.

So let me get this striaght

School network > nic port 1

nic port 2 > router > nas

i had a similar setup with mine for awhile... the problem lies with multiple default gateways... took me awhile to figure out the solution, but it has to do with metrics.

(assuming win 7 / vista... should work on xp too)
go to control panel > networking and sharing center > change adapter settings

Now right click on the nic thats NOT connected to the internet... the one you have for your router / nas > properties

highlight "internet protocol version 4" then click the properties button. on the bottom of the window that pops up click advanced, uncheck Auto Metric, and put in a value of 2000 (the value doesnt matter but it just has to be a higher value that the other nic... so if you put in a large value like 2000 u wont ever have to mess with your other nic)

Click ok and ok... you should be back at the nic's properties window, highlight Internet protocol version 6, click properties, click advanced, uncheck auto metric, and put in the same value you put in above... 2000, click ok, ok, and close, and restart the comp.

and you should be good.

All the same holds true if you were say using wifi to connect to the schools net, and ethernet to connect to your router .

Heh thanks, looked like that worked.

And not only will they shut off ethernet access to my room I'll more than likely get fired. I work for the IT department here. Yeah I know what you're thinking, but they don't let us play with the fun stuff like networking. Student techs are usually phone monkeys and do the heavy lifting.

Back