• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ O/C question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BMW_M3

Hi, I'm new here but I have a question. I just recently got a Athlon XP 1700+ Thourobred B (Stepping 1). I was wondering how far I could overclock it without bumbing up the voltage? Also, will bumping up the FSB and Multiplier make the core run hotter?

I have a Stock Heatsink and fan from a 2400+ (It has a copper core). I have a ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe, EVGA Geforce FX 5900se, and 512 MB of Crucial 3200 DDR SDRAM. All of this is hooked up to a 350 watt power supply.

Thanks.

ok, here is what we need.....there should be a black sticker on the chip, give us all of the printing on that sticker, here is an exmple of what i should look like (see highlighted area, sorry about the big pic) :

steppingoutline.jpg

Well, it appears I do have a DLT3C. I did a little experimenting. Right now I'm running the processor as a 2400+. I have the bus speed set at 166 and the multiplier at 12. The temperature at this speed is 40C at idle and about 45C at full load. Is this normal or are these tempatures to high?

Thanks again.

You should be able to hit at least 2Ghz with stock voltage. Try to increase the speed slowly. Better cooling won't hurt too.

Well, thanks for all your help. I'm happy with it running at 2.0 Ghz. It's fast enough for me.

Thanks again.

If you're happy with 2Ghz, try and lower your voltage slowly. You will soon notice the borderline for stable voltage, and you will run your proc cooler too. Try that. I ran mine at 1.525V on mobo, and according to MBM5 and CPU-Z it is averaging from 1.47-1.49V at 2.18Ghz. So, you should be able to run your proc at lower voltage.

I went into the BIOS and it says the Vcore is set at 1.60 where I said 1.65 because that's what CPU-Z told me. Sorry about the mixup. Anyway, I'm happy with it the way it is now. I don't want to mess with it anymore because Asus's BIOS is really messed up. Maybe some day if they fix it I'll try some of the final stuff you guys have told me.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

BMW_M3

Back