• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4c with 2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FattyMcNastyXK

Bambam's soldier
I plan on getting a 2.4c and maybe a motherboard in a month when I have the money but the only memory I have is pc 2700 and can't really afford anything faster but I really don't want to wait until I have money for fast ram and a cpu and mobo because I just have a 1500. So I was wondering how much the 512 of pc2700 ram would make the 2.4c slow?

Need more info about your current system before we can advise you on what way to proceed. I would say do not get a 2.4C first though. You should get a mobo first if your 1.5 is a socket 478. If you have a socket 423 system, then you need to get both the mobo and CPU at the same time. You should get a Canterwood/Springdale mobo if you plan on getting the 2.4C. Your RAM will get you by for a while, no problem. You'll just have to run the memory bus at a lower ratio is all. You'll take a little bit of a hit on memory bandwidth, but it'll be a huge gain over what you currently have.

EDIT: Forget what I said about getting the mobo first. The Canterwood/Springdale mobos don't support the Willamettes. You'll need to get the mobo and CPU together. Your RAM will still work ok, though.

All I have is AMD stuff, socket A 1500 xp. It'll be a big gain even with that memory, I'll eventually get better memory after I sell my old amd stuff.

Ok, I thought you meant a 1.5 P-4... I understand now. You'll love the new dual channel DDR mobos and 800 bus P-4's. Big improvement over what you currently have... even with PC2700 RAM. Selling your old stuff and getting better RAM later on is an excellent plan.

Back