• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 x 512Mb or 4 x 256Mb dual channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Off_The_Wall

Can someone tell me what configuration would be best for overclocking? Lot's of users tell that the are getting better results on 256Mb modules than on 512Mb modules. But what about 2x512Mb compared to 4x256Mb?

I have a Asus P4G8x and a P4 3,06@3500 fsb 152.

I want to buy Corsair so quality should not be an obstacle.

Offhand I would expect 2 512MB sticks to be the way to go, but it shouldn't matter in any event. I believe your chipset is limited to a 1:1 ratio between the fsb and the ram, so you are only running the ram 304MHz at your 152fsb. Any ram should do this without drama. Your board hits a wall at around 190fsb where things get very critical, but should be tolerant of whatever configuration of ram you want to throw it at 152fsb.

As well since the fsb limits at 190 on the board the ram won't have to run any faster than 380MHz in any event. Any quality PC3200 ram should do this (get Winbond). I've seen people run Samsung on these boards and be fine, where Samsung is limiting in many other applications. No reason to buy little modules, 380MHz is no challange for the big ones.

Back