• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
..."when everything seems fine"?
They haven't made a profit since the middle ages.

When quarterly report comes out in a few months, it very well may be the first one which will not involve posting a loss since.... when was the last time they posted profits, I can't even remember.

They give us CPUs that cost two or three or more times less then Intel chips and what do we do, we give them like 16% of the market (to Intel's 83%).

Who owns the other 1% ? :)

Ok, I've been reading a lot on the new locked CPUs. I myself have a 2500+. Im pretty sure its locked, but I'm not sure and I dont really want to take off my ginormous heatsink/fan and look at the CPU. People have been talking about how the multiplier is locked, but you can still overclock using the front side bus...

Here is my question/problem:

The Athlon 2500+ is identical (performance-wise) to the 3200+ in every way except the FSB on the 3200+ is 400 versus 333 on the 2500+.

With my NF7-S V2, the BIOS gives me 3 choices for a CPU (which is a 2500+ if you forgot already). It has "2500+", "3200+", and "User Define". If I select 3200+ and restart, I get an error that says somthing about drive A. Ironicly, I dont have a floppy drive installed and have disabled any traces of it in the BIOS, yet I get the same error every time. This error is also accompanied by lovely repetitive beeping that makes me want to destroy somthing.

Can a locked 2500+ OC from 333 FSB to 400 FSB? I have no need to change the multiplier, only the FSB. Has anyone done it without problems?

Scrambled Eggs said:
Ok, I've been reading a lot on the new locked CPUs. I myself have a 2500+. Im pretty sure its locked, but I'm not sure and I dont really want to take off my ginormous heatsink/fan and look at the CPU. People have been talking about how the multiplier is locked, but you can still overclock using the front side bus...

Here is my question/problem:

The Athlon 2500+ is identical (performance-wise) to the 3200+ in every way except the FSB on the 3200+ is 400 versus 333 on the 2500+.

With my NF7-S V2, the BIOS gives me 3 choices for a CPU (which is a 2500+ if you forgot already). It has "2500+", "3200+", and "User Define". If I select 3200+ and restart, I get an error that says somthing about drive A. Ironicly, I dont have a floppy drive installed and have disabled any traces of it in the BIOS, yet I get the same error every time. This error is also accompanied by lovely repetitive beeping that makes me want to destroy somthing.

Can a locked 2500+ OC from 333 FSB to 400 FSB? I have no need to change the multiplier, only the FSB. Has anyone done it without problems?

If you read up a bit on the forum you will see that most people can hit 3200+ speeds easily without raising the multiplier.

I have a locked week 50 Barton 2500+, see sig for overclock.

yeah. Set user define and set your FSB to 200.
And for best results, have decent ram that can keep up (3200 or 2700 that can overclock to 3200 speed) and set the ram manually at a 6/6 or 3/3 or something, so that it runs synchrynous with the FSB.

BTW, welcome to the board!

Thanks for trying to help, but I already know about setting the FSB to 400 MHz to get 3200+ speed. That isnt my problem. My problem is the error message that I get when I set it. I have never changed the multiplier, and dont plan to. I want 3200+. Plain and simple. Nothing more.

My System is:
Abit NF7-S Version 2
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Western Digital 80GB w/8MB Cache
Antec 350 Watt PS
512 MB Corsair XMS PC3200 running in Dual Channel Mode
Memory timing - 11-2-2-2, runs perfectly stable.
I also raised the memory voltage from 2.6 to 2.7.

I am positive that cooling is not the problem, so we can rule that out. The memory timing is also not the problem, because I still get the same error, even with optimal timing.

I have attached a picture of my error message.

error message.jpg

Scrambled Eggs said:
Thanks for trying to help, but I already know about setting the FSB to 400 MHz to get 3200+ speed. That isnt my problem. My problem is the error message that I get when I set it. I have never changed the multiplier, and dont plan to. I want 3200+. Plain and simple. Nothing more.

My System is:
Abit NF7-S Version 2
Antec 350 Watt PS

I am positive that cooling is not the problem, so we can rule that out. The memory timing is also not the problem, because I still get the same error, even with optimal timing.

First thing, make sure you are using either D21 or D22, especially if running SATA, also you didnt list your core voltage.

If you have the option...boot up floppy seek...disable that...

Also not all 2500's will run at 3200. I have a PQZFAQ 0349 2500 and it will max out at 196 in the BIOS @ 1.95'v's. Anything past 196 and unstable, anything past 1.95v's and the CPU will not boot.

So this issue could be a few things:

1. Possible BIOS update
2. Floppy cable might possible be going bad
3. CPU just can not handle 200FSB.

First thing, make sure you are using either D21 or D22, especially if running SATA

What is D21 or D22?

I'm not running SATA...
My vcore is 1.6
I dont have a floppy drive installed. That is what makes this error weird.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new to the forums.

I've been reading posts on it for a while but never really felt like registering to the forum until today since I have questions and I'm still very confused about all this AMD locked monkey poop.

I was planning to buy an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ but the more I read the more I understood that any barton chip could get the same results as the high priced one. So I then changed my mind.

What I want to get now is a 2800+ because the multipler is 12.5 but I want to straighten things out in my head first.

Can I change the FSB as I want anytime I want? My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Here what I'm planning to do:

AMD Athlon 2800+ (200 fsb X 12.5 multi) = 2500 mhz
(2 X 512) 1 gb PC 3200 DDR 400 (OCZ or Corsair)

Is this going to work or not? Should I try to find an unlocked chip or there is no need to?

Kileak said:
Hi! I'm new to the forums.

I've been reading posts on it for a while but never really felt like registering to the forum until today since I have questions and I'm still very confused about all this AMD locked monkey poop.

I was planning to buy an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ but the more I read the more I understood that any barton chip could get the same results as the high priced one. So I then changed my mind.

What I want to get now is a 2800+ because the multipler is 12.5 but I want to straighten things out in my head first.

Can I change the FSB as I want anytime I want? My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Here what I'm planning to do:

AMD Athlon 2800+ (200 fsb X 12.5 multi) = 2500 mhz
(2 X 512) 1 gb PC 3200 DDR 400 (OCZ or Corsair)

Is this going to work or not? Should I try to find an unlocked chip or there is no need to?

WELCOME!

I highly doubt you'd get 2500Mhz out of any Barton chip on air. Though it's been done, it's not likely.

The Asus board will allow you to change the FSB in BIOS at any time.

My personal recommendation is to save the difference and get an AXP 2600. It should overclock exactly the same as the 2800, and if the one you get is locked, you should have a chance at 200Mhz FSB. FSB is better than higher multi.

Scrambled Eggs said:

What is D21 or D22?

I'm not running SATA...
My vcore is 1.6
I dont have a floppy drive installed. That is what makes this error weird.

a BIOS version, D22 is the latest one

Scrambled Eggs said:

My System is:
Abit NF7-S Version 2
Antec 350 Watt PS

I have attached a picture of my error message.

If you dont have a floppy, you must disable the floppy in the bios on my A7N8X.

Gnufsh said:
Want me to list some other CPU companies?
Via
Transmeta
IBM
Motorolla
Sun
NEC (they make the cpus used in the earth simulator)
MIPS
just to name a few...
Alpha/DEC/Compaq any1?
ARM?
National Semiconductor (fab for Cyrix/Geode/IDT/whatever)?
Texas Instruments?

Back