• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x R9 270x replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

I was planning on getting a new mobo/cpu/ram combo but I am not going to pay $200 for $90 worth of DDR4 ram so i'll go the other way.

theres a bit of time left in my 8320e and the 16 gigs of ddr3 that accompany it so I figured right now a better investment would be a new card. until ram prices come down and then I could move the card over to the new board...you all know how this works.

any way I am running 2 cards in a crossfire setup ones actually a 7870 and the other a 270X. I am tired of the strange support you get in games with crossfire and right now the drivers seem to kinda suck ever since the relive thing started, and I have tested with a matching pair of 270's (sans x) and its the same result. when it does work its great but its not often that it does or does well.

so the long and short of what I am wondering is whats going to be a little better in a single card than what I have now?

I was considering a 1070ti but I am open to options, albeit not many options above that card but maybe mine are old and slower than I think and something less than a 1070ti will be faster than this pair.

as far as usage, gaming, lots of gaming and emulation. lately I have been burning through the Wolfenstein series (current one OB,1,2) and trying to get dirt to work but it crashes to the desktop at random, then of course theres UT alpha and Overwatch. Then the emulation is Dolphin, I like to play a game called Forune Street on the Wii but its lengthy, when I play it on an emulator instead of a Wii or Wii U I can use save states and come back to it since theres no save function when your in the middle of a match

I looked up some old reviews of crossfired 270x running firestrike and compared them against a 1070 running firestrike and the 1070 scores about 50% better.

The last time I looked at the 1070ti it was at a writer's price point in comparison to the 1070 and 1080 and was not worth the asking price. Unless the process have changed dramatically I would either save a few bucks and grab a 1070 or splurge and go after the 1080.

as of now at new egg

cheapest 1070 I would buy is $409
cheapest 1070 ti I would buy is $449
cheapest 1080 I would buy is $529

although is a regular 1070 is about 50% faster than a pair of 270x then maybe I could get away with something like a 1060 and be only 20% faster than a pair of 270x.....
but the idea of having 3 to 4 cards worth of power in one card is tempting...

I've gotta wait till payday any way (right before xmas) and theres usually a big sale around then and the beginning of the year.
I've done some searching about new GPUs coming out form NVidia but I haven't seen any thing for a realistic budget is there something I am missing in up coming releases?

Just remember that with Pascal most GPUs all clock the same . Buying the more expensive versions doesn't gain you much. So it means cheep 1070 to over expensive 1070 I would get the ti.

Ti is a good price point I would get that over a 1080 because after they are Overclocked there isn't a big difference in fps.

oh I wasn't looking at cards based on factory overclocks from various makers, I was basing it on cooler, and if it was a good brand in my mind.
the open sided dual and tri fan coolers, like on the twin frozor and windforce edition cards (and others of course) work well in certain situations but I noticed they just kinda circulate the heat around in my case and during the summer I would like to have the side on no matter what time of year
even with 5 120mm intake and 3 140mm exhaust I still get heat problems so I am gonna go back to the reference blower design. Heavily sound deadened case so it shouldn't be too noisy.

pic mildly related (from the archives)

blower2.jpg

Back