• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$3-4 G's - Going Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OMG< I AM SO STUPID!!! hahha I always have thought that HD's were 5.25 :D

Thanks again! You're a big help!

me likey!

Question tho....are the 2 SATA 160's for RAID-0 or for RAID-1?

I ask this for a few reasons. if your going RAID-0 then I must ask why? You don't need that kind of speed for basically a storage drive for music/movies/files. Also, if your raid array gets corrupted you'll lose everything.

if you plan on going RAID-1, then for the same reason I'd say just go IDE. don't get me wrong, you'd have a fast drive there, but it'd go to waste. spend the $475 on something else.

btw I have the 2 raptors in raid-0....WOW it's fast ;)

The price difference between SATA and PATA 160gb 8mb cache drives isn't huge ~ when your spending $3-4000, whats the point in skimping?

Raptors are very nice :)

Got two x 120gb SATA Maxtors, in RAID1, although I wanna get a coupla Raptors for a scratch disk drive.

Well, I am still a newbie when it comes to this. I don't know much about RAID at all. If somebody can give me the run-down about the different numbers I would appreciate it.

How can RAID get corrupted? Should I get the other drives? I mean.... if I don't need to spend the money, why should I? Having some extra money around is always nice.

I am so sorry for being ignorant in my last post. I took some time and went to the Storage section of the forum and found out everything I need.

Since they are only for storage, I might go IDE. But, may I ask you this question. If I will be using these other storage drives constantly on an FTP for other friends to download from, would it be better to have a RAID-1 ?

Hey, I suggested the IC7-G at anothe forum to a guy because of the hype you guys have had for it, this is what one person replied.

"i would not go with IC7-G because if u really did your reaserch u would knwo that that mobo changes clock timings of the ram under OC and makes it a poor performer, even Granite Bay mobos do better then IC7-G..."

the only response I have to that is to read as many reviews by well known sites as you can because obviously, an individual's opinion might not be the correct one.

he might have the 1.0 bios. the 1.1 fixes teh problem.

Also, here's what you can expect from your raptors in raid-0 :)

raid_16k.jpg

16K stripe size, whoa!

I saw that everyone here said not to go w/ the onboard sound. From what I've read in the reviews of the Asus & Abit Canterwoods, they say that the onboard 5.1/6.1 is as good as the Audigy2. Let's say that it's not as good, but really close. Why not save the money now and only by the Audigy 2 if you're disappointed by what you hear. I myself have an Audigy 2 and plan on picking up an IC7-G soon. I would only install the Audigy 2 if I heard the difference, otherwise my brother just got a free upgrade!

Well, thanks guys. It came to around $3,000 and it will probably get cheaper by the time I buy it with all the new stuff coming out.

Here is everything. I went ahead with the 128mb 9800pro for now unless the prices on the 256 go down some (which it MIGHT by the end of the summer).

hmm, what if I get you a ub3r l33t system of parts for under $2,200 can I have $300 :D lol j/k. Get 2.8c P4 , ABit IC7-G, Corsair PC3500 or PC3700 Samsung. Geforce 5900 Ultra FX. SB Audigy 2. DVD Burner Sony DRU 500AX-U and CDRW 48x lol.

ic7-g if you are sparing no expense, but i would still recomend the cheaper p4p800... seems to preform better.

btw if you want preformance put your hd's in raid 0, but if you want to have a backup if your primary drive fails do raid 1

If you realy want to go all out get 4 hd's and do Raid 0+1... that is the best way to go if you have the money

Back