• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D models on a web page.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cluster

I need to know if it would be possible to take a 3D model off a CAD program and put it on a website. I'm using AutoCAD 2002. I'm making wireframe designs of cases and would like to know if i could display the images on a website.

If it is possible, the pictures won't be of the greatest quality, as this program can choke hige end workstation vid cards, or so i've been told.

I don't recall if Autocad will let you flat out render to a jpeg or something, but you should be able to export it as a dxf file and import it in something else like 3D Studio Max and render it there, than put that up on your web page.

I don't know about autocad either.. but if you can make it an OBJ or 3ds or DXf and I can make you a render or even a roating giff of the file... and I'd be glad to do it

Thanks. I was just curious. I haven't got to the point with it to be able to draw 3D wireframes. That'll take some experimenting yet. But it's a nice though to be able too.

I don't know of any way you can put the model itself on a website & have a browser display it. But with Autocad 2000, & I'm sure 2002, you can render your model to a file (see attached image). Once you select the "File" destination, there are several options that become available - click the "More Options" button. You can specify a .bmp, or .tiff, file format. Once the render is complete, you can use another program to convert the image to a .jpg or .gif & then embed them in a html document.

Thanks nodoze, I guess i'd have to be gettin into some java applet to portray a 3D model that is movable, zoomable, and people can see it with differnt colrs/tints, or even specify sizes and see how it looks.

Thanks for all the help.

ok, just saw this in class today. U make a model in whatever program, max, cad, whatever. Save it. Then u can bring it into director8.5 and use the NEW 3d features. U can do anything with it, it even imports the lights and textures. freagn sweet:). Then all u have to do is make a shockwave file outa it and put it on ur site, but it'll be kinda large files.

whenever you are in Autocad and you are looking at a model and want to save a Tiff, jpg, or Bitmap of EXACTLY what you are looking at, at the current time you can type "saveimg" ..., oh crap, or is it "savimg"? No I am pretty sure it is the first one.
Render2.jpg

There is also a plug-in for Internet Explorer called Whip that will let you view autocad drawings on web pages.

Last edited:
Back