• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4770k: Trying to overclock RAM and CPU itself help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But the voltages are within safe values, right?

I've been gaming the whole day without any problem at all.

I don't want to deviate from the main topic (CPU) but I already returned the RAM sticks @ 2400 that didn't seem to run stable. Would you recommend me trying again with slower speed ram, say 1866, and see if I notice any improvement? I might create a thread under the corresponding subforum....

Voltage is "safe" though watch the temps while gaming that's your biggest concern. As far as the ram you should be able to run 2400 Mhz. Is the Dram Voltage set on auto? If so try setting the Dram V manually to what the stacks are rated at.

Voltage is fine some of those have a vid around 1.2v .
I have been running my i5 version of your CPU for years with 'unsafe' voltages it's still here :( (if only it would die I could get a new toy I have ran upto 1.7 when benching)

I cranked up the speed to 4.5, but had to increase the voltage to 1.25 for it to be stable.... have een playing the whole afternoon of yesterday and didn't get any BSOD or strange behaviour at all!

I cranked up the speed to 4.5, but had to increase the voltage to 1.25 for it to be stable.... have een playing the whole afternoon of yesterday and didn't get any BSOD or strange behaviour at all!
what are your temps while playing?

Fifty five-ish, low 60......
Truth be told I will not consider my system stable unless I can pass a few hours of stress testing, Occt, Prime 95, Aida 64, realbench just to name a few. That said, it's your system, if it's stable enough for your needs and those are the temps you're good to go. :thup:

I get what you say, but usually, a gaming rig is not going to be crunching 100% of CPU performance for long periods. I'm more afraid of heat than of instability. Anyway, I will try to run some benchmarks, regardless and my benchmark is gaming for an afternoon and experiencing no BSOD at all :D

I get what you say, but usually, a gaming rig is not going to be crunching 100% of CPU performance for long periods. I'm more afraid of heat than of instability. Anyway, I will try to run some benchmarks, regardless and my benchmark is gaming for an afternoon and experiencing no BSOD at all :D
If that is sufficient for your needs then just use it the way it is.

Playing Battlefield 1 on ultra, 64 players server, the CPU doesn't go beyond 64: usually goes from mid fifties to mid sixties.

Playing Alien isolation it's fluctuating between mid forties to low fifties......

I tried prime95 and in 10 minutes, it didn't go above 75 at some point: Since I tried that older version, it seems it runs cooler... I'm quite happy with the OC

I'm trying 4.5 Ghz and reaching for 1:1 ring ratio as well.
Currently, core 4.5 seems to like 4.4 ring ratio @ 1.23v, however, I see a heat output increase of like 4-5 degrees C.
I know core speed is king but am I going to benefit that much from running the ring ratio at 4.4 instead of at 3.9 as I was up until now? Is it worth those extra heat?

EDIT: Using Intel's XTU, I notice the TDP goes from low-mid 80s to high 80s-91 or 92, so this is the reason why I have more heat output.

Last edited:
Back