• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790K Delid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chevy350

Registered
Was wanting to get temps a little lower so decided to de-lid and see. Forgot voltage was set from AI Suite from messing around earlier to see what it would think everything needed and have my much lower settings on now :thup: Scarey what they think it should ramp voltages up to, can see why I uninstalled it soon after lol. Picked up the Rockit88 de-lid and relid tool's, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for die to IHS and some Gelid GC Extreme for IHS to cooler, and some liquid electrical tape for the row next to the die just in case ;) Currently have the Corsair H100i with SP120's in P/P. All in all was pretty much a painless process with the de-lid tool and yeah razor blades are cheaper but knowing my luck would have bought some stitches as well lol. But after about an hour of nail-biting fun and thinking did I put too much conductonaut or not enough, get the LET on good enough I soon found out. Ran Aida64 cpu stress for 15mins or so until temps levelled out and got a 17C reduction :attn: Have my daily 4.8GHz@ 1.31v running now and once the Kraken X62 shows up will be messing with settings a bit more :D Here's some pics and the before and after runs

20170225_160723.jpg

20170226_121942.jpg

20170226_122258.jpg

Capture003.jpg

AfterDelid.jpg

It's beginning to look like the 7700k CPUs need delidding even worse than the i7 IvyBridges did. Whoops! You have a 4790k.

I would've used Liquid Ultra under the lid, personally. I hope you don't run into a "pumping out" problem down the road with the Thermal Grizzly. It's pretty viscous stuff so maybe it won't be a problem.

Last edited:
It's beginning to look like the 7700k CPUs need delidding even worse than the i7 IvyBridges did.

I would've used Liquid Ultra under the lid, personally. I hope you don't run into a "pumping out" problem down the road with the Thermal Grizzly. It's pretty viscous stuff so maybe it won't be a problem.

Thermal grizzly Conductonaut is a Liquid Metal TIM comparable to Liquid Ultra. It is actually included in some of the delid kits instead of Liquid ultra.

Thanks, Lochkey. I missed that. All I saw was Thermal Grizzly.

I was debating on CLU or Conductonaut for a couple weeks, saw good and bad on both with bad mainly being application issues. Prices were about the same and like most TIM comparison's they were within 1-2C of each other. Had an older cpu sitting so it became the test mule for delid tool and grizzly application lol :D

Back