• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8500le/winxp prob-maybe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

*JEREMY*

My friend has a p3 933,his mobo didnt have an agp slot so we got him a cheap socket 370/with agp because he bought an 8500le he wanted to run.We got everything installed and used the windows xp disk to do an installation repair so that he wouldnt have to reformat and lose everthing because of the mobo change.After it was all done the system kept locking and giving errors about the radeon so we tried different drivers and setting the agp down to 2x but it still kept locking so I tested the card in my machine and it ran fine.We figured the mobo was just to weak to support the radeon so we went and got him a duron 900 and ECS K7S5A mobo.Installed everything,did the xp repair installation,installed all the drivers and still the same problem,its a little more stable but not much.When we try to benchmark with 3dmark it gets up to the second dragon carousel with 8 lights and stops,once it just told us that it failed and the second time it restarted the machine and when it boots back up it says that the radeon caused the system to become unstable.Do you think it just needs a clean install of windows?Thats my only guess since the card worked flawless in my machine and we replaced his mobo and cpu and still got the same problems.Im about ready to pull my hair out over this because we have benn messing with this for 3 days now so any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated:(

I hate to be the one to say this but a fresh format solved many of my XP/Radeon 8500 issues, Now everything is amazingly good...

That and using some of the newest driver like what was mentioned :cool:

Have your bud save all his important data and consider a fresh format if the new drivers dont do the trick

Silversinksam said:
I hate to be the one to say this but a fresh format solved many of my XP/Radeon 8500 issues, Now everything is amazingly good...

That and using some of the newest driver like what was mentioned :cool:

Have your bud save all his important data and consider a fresh format if the new drivers dont do the trick

I agree with this, but also that seems to be signs of a video card overclocked too much. Just a thought.

Well I guess a new format/install is what we will do because this card is not even overclocked,still at default speed of 230 and we have tried just about all the radeon drivers.I just hope it works,he is all worried after spending all that money,you know how it is, and we know the card is good because it ran fine in my rig with the newest drivers,same ones used in his,

Well we gave it a fresh install of winxp and still the same prob,random freeze-reboots-bsods and also the fonts get messed up occasionally and errors come up about the vidcard.It wont make it through 3dmark2k1,gets to the 8 light dragon carousel and freezes.I just cant track it down-
1.New mobo and cpu and still the same problem
2.have tried many different drivers from old to new
3.The card and the system are not overclocked
4.It runs perfectly fine on my system with winxp.
5.Have tried updating mobo drivers and just about everything else.
6.Dropped hardware acceleration back a notch,no fastwrites and 2x agp and also fail safe bios ram settings.

I think I am going to throw win 98 on there and see what happens.This is just getting crazy now,spending way too much time on this and if it still happens in win 98 this card is definately going back.I got it from abilitywholesale.com which is where I got mine because I live right by them and they gave me an oem which I was aware of,its clocked at 250.They gave him a 8500le which they did not state and charged the same price for and its clocked at 230.

Back