• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A hardy thank you for the assistance!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weatherlite

This goes out to everyone on this board, not just the folks who answered some of my questions, because just reading, researching, re-reading, etc, etc, etc, has been invaluable to me in re-educating myself. With all of the changes/advancements in the past few years that I have been out of the scene I was quite shocked at how much I had to absorb. SO for that I thank you all! :)

Here are the results of your efforts...whether you knew you were making them or not. hehe Based upon my budget, desires, goals, etc, I have come up with the following list of parts which I have already purchased (so don't tell me to buy something else; too late!) which will hopefully give me an aesthetically pleasing rig which is nearly whisper silent when I'm only surfing the web, etc, and won't be too awful loud when I play the occasional game. Yes, I will be OCing it a bit. Not for max ability but for a stable yet fairly high OC at a comfortable temperature. I have room for upgrades in the future (such as a second GPU, different processor, additional HDD/SSD, etc) and the ability to go with H2O should that bug ever decide to bite me. lol

NZXT Phantom full-tower case, Black with green trim. This case comes pretty much fully filtered but I'm also going to use some black or clear silicone RTV sealant and take care of any undesirable leaks. http://store.nzxt.com/product_p/clr-phantom-bng.htm

In addition, I'm replacing the side panel with one which has a window instead of a 200mm fan. http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/case_accessories/phantom_window_panel

Will fill all of the available case fan positions so it will have a total of 3x120mm, 1x140mm, and 2x200mm. I will play around with positive/negative/neutral airflow for best results.

I want some color in there too but dislike the effect cold cathodes have so I'm going to try some LEDs from NZXT to see what I can do with those. http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/case_accessories/sleeved_led_kit_-_green Oh, and one of the 200mm fans comes with green LEDs as well. :D

Next up is something I already own and am only thinking about using. The Phantom case already has fan control built into it...though it is limited. I guess we'll see as things progress whether or not I swap this from one rig to another. NZXT Sentry LX fan controller. http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/fan_control/sentry_lx

And now the explaining is done and I can pretty much just list the parts. lol
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-4100
XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 with MX-2 paste
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
MSI R5770 Hawk Twin Frozr...bought this for my son and it works great
XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver PSU
Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Logitech Wireless Mouse M525
Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270
SilverStone Sound Dampening Acoustic Foam...to try to make it even quieter

And finally, to help try to keep my lines clean, I'm going to experiment a bit with internal placement of wireless adapters. I've got two of these: USB 2.0 Cable - USB A Female to USB Motherboard 4 Pin Header. Essentially, this puts a little six-inch long USB cable INSIDE the computer. Going to see if I can connect the keyboard/mouse dongle and the wireless internet adapter inside to keep the outside clean while not losing too much signal. Should be an "interesting" experiment. lol

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but once I get everything in I plan on doing a pictorial from start to finish and then sharing so if I did forget something I can include it in there.

And again, thanks everyone for all you have done, whether your realized you had done it or not. :) :grouphug:

This case comes pretty much fully filtered but I'm also going to use some black or clear silicone RTV sealant and take care of any undesirable leaks.

^
You'll never keep all the dust out. It will find a way. If there's a dust filter on X fan and you want to use it, go for it, dust still gets in through dust filters a little bit, even around their mounts. I don't even use dust filters personally as they slow the air down. Just blow the computer out now and then.

You're welcome on the behalf of other people who helped you :p.

Beautiful build, good choices all around for that price point...You could always water cool that little bugger and aim for 5ghz xD It's a pretty good ocer actually, plus when Piledriver comes out you can upgrade to one of them. -luckily they won't dissapoint us and put AMD back on track-
We want pics now!

Well, Newegg says I'll receive on Tuesday. Amazon says Wednesday. I don't have an ETA from NZXT so we'll see. I may be sitting there with all of the guts but no case! lol And for your unasked question, I was limited on money so I shopped for best pricing and considered the differences in shipping costs as well. Saved over $100 splitting the orders this way.

That's perfectly acceptable...I've had a 2600k sitting on my desk for almost a month cause of that. I had to split orders between paychecks and only get the best deals and also combine shippings to save even more $$$.
I expect to have my stuff in a month or two...Unless I do a ton of extra work and/or win the lotto. xD

Well, I've gotten almost everything in but I'm still waiting for NZXT to ship. Yes, it hasn't even shipped yet and I ordered on the 23rd. Their website says they're still processing the order so I emailed and asked WTF. Hopefully they'll have an answer and an ETA. Until then, I can at least bench test most everything and make sure it's all in good working order.

Speaking of which, I've gotta say that the little power supply tester I ordered is one nice piece of equipment! The instructions are in bad English but I could figure it out well enough. Nice bright LCD screen, easy and strong connections, visual and audio alarms. Good investment!

I'll get things going as soon as I can and will upload pics as I go along.

Yeah, I have loads of testers and stuff to borrow for that matter. But that lind of lcd display thingy would be nicer :p
Good luck with your case, let's hope it arrives soon!
I'm modding an old one, and replacing panels with some wooden parts and acrilyc, with bigger fan mounts for 120/140mm fans and space to fit an h100 at the top :D

Back