• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a7v333 is flaky we know but does it kill chips also?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ok this is getting to be a big concern of mine.ive had it flake out 3 times now,just die and seem dead and not post on any cpu,ram,video card,psu.ive swapped em all and it still not work.then the next day it come to life and work flawlessly.

that i can handle and get over.but this last time im almost sure its the reason my 2700 died.it flaked out and was dead for 2 days and the chip went south at the same exact moment.this has happend to others ive spoken to also.
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157154

now im not saying fear this mobo just yet but it is a weird issue.

please post any info you can add to this.so who ever can make up there own mind on if its happening.

btw my 2nd 2700 is in it now and im really leary of it.i want a asus a7n8x anyhow and this might be my excuse but i still want to keep this mobo as its been the best ocer ive ever owned.

this is the email ive sent to asus regarding this.
hello:
i just wanted to make a statement on the product i own.the a7v333r rev 1.04 with 1016 bios.it has been flaky acting 3 times now."ie" it dont post and just gives the "didnt pass the cpu test"error.
this error still happens after pulling the board and placing on static bag and barebone running it with verified working cpu,ram,video card,psu.and this error continues.yes the cmos was cleared on every new try.

then a day or so later the board comes back to life as if nothing ever happened.but the last time this flakyness happened it took a xp2700 with it.no burn marks,melting of cores,or smells.the cpu looked brand new but is now dead.amd has graciusly replaced this cpu.

im not the only one reporting this.im a member at overclockers.com forums and ive ran into others who have this unexplained cpu deaths happen.we all can get over flakyness but these cpu deaths are worrysome.

this is the best mother board ive ever owned and i want to keep it but im now afraid of using it.i plan to buy the new a7n8x as a replacemnt.but some insight would help if im to keep this board.

ty deathstar13

Perhaps the initial problems you had were due to the grounding issues that some people say they have - as for your XP2700 as I stated on your other thread I think the fact it had 2V of vcore through it may have had an impact plus didnt you also run the VDimm at over 3V?! (I might be mistaken on that one). Edit BTW have you deleted that thread as it seems to have mysteriously disappeared!
To date I have had no issues with this board (touches head).

Last edited:
My vcore was 1.75, as reported by MBM, and my vdimm default. Still killed my XP2100. How do you explain that OC Detective?

I dont know but as I said it is strange it happened after you took out and replaced the vidcard and Ram. You can diss the board all you want but for every dissatisfied person there are probably 100 silent happy users.

OC Detective said:
You can diss the board all you want but for every dissatisfied person there are probably 100 silent happy users.

I'm one of them. Had the board since May and its been one of the most stable boards I've ever had. Not one problem:)

Al

Ok, this is just a guess, but i was having very weird power problems on my A7V333R rev 1.01:

- it would shut down by itself, and then not want to power up unless i switched the power off from the mains.

- it would power on by itself in the middle of the night!!

- it would shut down and then restart constantly by itself, i would have to switch it off at the mains supply, wait a few minutes and then it power back up normaly.

The motherboard was taken back to the shop and tested twice, it worked fine for them. memory was checked, that was fine! Eventually they replaced the motherboard, which worked fine at first, but then the problems returned!

In the end i came to the conclusion that it must be a power supply problem. Took the psu back to the shop, but their new returns policy was to have items tested by the manufacturer, which could take up to 21 days!! I decided in the end to open the power supply up and check inside myself. It was covered in LOADS of dust, so I brushed it all clean, put it back together and hey presto..............i havn't had a single problem scince!!

Just an idea, but maby your problems are PSU related.

MDA.

I'm not dissing the A7V333 at all. You are just over defending it like it's your little sister or something. There are few problems with some of these boards. Some are just frustrating and go away, yet others do actual damage that costs money and time.

Why do you suspect that removing and re-inserting my vid card/ram has anything to do with killing my CPU anyway?

I loved it when it was working and I still like Asus. Just ordered another board from them. However, I hope when I get another A7V333 from my RMA that I have faith to put another CPU in it, although at the time being I don't feel like I do.

mda i was thinking psu also as i was reading that.
i wouldnt say im dissing the board as ive stated many times also its the best ocing board ive ever owned.even better than the 8k3a+ i have.

the reported flakyness started not long after the board was released,things have improved also.but when it first started everyday i was helping someone with this mobo.usually a grounding problem.

i ask you only keep your eyes open to this matter if it does strike you.i hope to purchase a a7n8x in a week or so and ill keep the a7v333 and sell the epox.so ill still have it around also.

just an update. the a7v333 fried my 1ghz tbird and leaving me without a cpu for 4 days! i went and sold the SOB for $20 at the local pc store.

thats 2 cpu deaths on that mobo.i installed it and went into the bios to see the tamps and they were fine.went back to adjust the fsb and the pc shut down while still in the bios.and the tbird hasnt breathed since.

1 good things from this.1 i get a new cpu to play with.2 im gonna get a a7n8x i beleive to replace it.i dont feel its a wide spread infection of killer mobos but some definatly do kill cpu's.

if yours has had a cpu die in it unexpectantly id get it rma'd or burn it asap! i still like asus tho and for now think of this as just bad luck.

Actually I am trying to rationalise how the mobo may actually kill a cpu/and be OK intermittently. What on a mobo could cause this type of problem - capacitor or resistor issue perhaps - I am not technically minded enough to answer this but surely someone out there can come up with a logical theory.

only thing that really stands out in my mind is a voltage issue.
both dead chips ive had and KfistoRok also all were undamaged physically.no burn,smells,discolerations.everything looked new still.

also mine seemed to happen on and about bios bootup.this last time while in my bios.first one was just a restart and it posted and then blacked out.

both times the cpus should have been at defualt vcores also.i really wish i knew what the couse was,mabey was a combination of me and the mobo not doing things that corrispond with each other.a fluke type thing.

mines gone now so i wont be posting much else on this subject.but i am almost sure im getting the a7n8x tho next week.
just to show i do like asus still.that was the best ocing mobo i ever had,hope the new one does as well.

Back