• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC's Phenom Review and Techinical info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree, this is a whole new basket of tech. Give them some time to get it worked out a bit. I trust further down the road we see even more competitive CPUs from AMD on the same socket. Thats one thing that is nice, don't need to have the scoket changing blues as much.

There are a lot of "what if's" on both sides of the the line. We can ask the what if questions all day long but at the end of the day they don't mean nothin. :beer:

They have had oodles of time to get it 'worked out a bit' Most are tired of waiting.Its like R600 all over again.Tons of hype til laanch,many delays,and then it all falls flat on its face,while debt piles even higher into the sky,and stock prices tumble farther down into the abyss.45NM will not arrive on time,and I am going off of Thursdays analyst slides.R700 is now a Summer 2009 product(which means Nvidia can continue to sand bag us all,and stay on cruise control),and the bad news just gets worse from there.

I personally believe once AMD fixes out all the kinks and later steppings appear, the 65nm comparisons should be very close. I just wish AMD were 1 year ahead so they could compete with 45nm!

They have had oodles of time to get it 'worked out a bit' Most are tired of waiting.Its like R600 all over again.Tons of hype til laanch,many delays,and then it all falls flat on its face,while debt piles even higher into the sky,and stock prices tumble farther down into the abyss.45NM will not arrive on time,and I am going off of Thursdays analyst slides.R700 is now a Summer 2009 product(which means Nvidia can continue to sand bag us all,and stay on cruise control),and the bad news just gets worse from there.

this is a reason i am sticking with AMD, most enthusest can be blind and continue to pay a **** load of money to intel and nvidia, while we pay little and get similar performing parts, they may not OC as much but its not a pain in the wallet, and we still get awesome performance. sure you could get a Q6600 but man as soon as another chip comes out your screwed motherboard wise. plus i read alot more intel chips are DOA then AMD chips, as well as mobo are DOA or die quickly then AMD, Intel is faster yes but AMD cheap reliable and future proof.

lol knightwolf,

you gonna like this one, yorkfield monster is 2% faster clock for clock vs its own predecessor(on average).
http://www.hkepc.com/?id=171&page=3#view

cant wait to see some numbers on a 9950. amd will probably stay at the current speed of 2.6, given the ****ty thermal envelope, until 45nm comes out.
i wouldnt be surprised to see a second black edition of 65 nm barcelona...

no ht3 though

It doesn't matter, these chips are not bandwith limited HT2 has more bandwith than Intel's FSB wishes it could have for Christmas. It doesn't matter because the only thing holding back Phenom's performance is Phenom's performance. Stop making excuses for this uncompetitive CPU.

lol knightwolf,

you gonna like this one, yorkfield monster is 2% faster clock for clock vs its own predecessor(on average).

cant wait to see some numbers on a 9950. amd will probably stay at the current speed of 2.6, given the ****ty thermal envelope, until 45nm comes out.

I tried to point this out somewhere and got my teeth kicked in. I do have to say on the wattage side them thing sip power. But like anything, crank-em up to 3.2 and they all need a bigger straw to suck power!

lol knightwolf,

Looking at the numbers from a fanboy side of view is deceiving. Calculate the average, and you'll be looking at a much attractive number.

You can probably expect the same performance increase clock for clock for the 45nm K10, provided AMD doesn't do any major architetural changes, which I doubt is going to happen. AFAIK, they're just going to slap some extra slow level 3 cache on those new chips.

dan

Last edited:
lol knightwolf,

thats funny. pointless product. for mainstream its crap,
2-8% difference with a $400 difference. sure it sips less power but dang its only like 10 cents a KW

Last edited:
AMD has a cache latency fix for 45nm. Much like Intels Hafnium addition to their dies, AMD has a updated insulation layer to reduce leakage and improve quickness of transistors but i only works on 45nm and smaller according to one source.

AMD has a cache latency fix for 45nm. Much like Intels Hafnium addition to their dies, AMD has a updated insulation layer to reduce leakage and improve quickness of transistors but i only works on 45nm and smaller according to one source.

So we wont see the benefit until this time next year. Oh well, hoping for next christmas! :soda:

I have to agree. I've always been a huge AMD fan, but my next machine will be Intel simply because it gives me better technology for the money. AMD's CEO needs to be fired, along with their entire marketing division. One thing they have right now though is a great mid-range lineup - the last few PCs I've built for people have been AMD, as they weren't heavy gamers and they were mostly web/HTPC machines. Saved a couple of hundred off of Intel.

I do, however, like the HD3850 and HD3870 cards. Those are some of the best mid-range cards I remember from either company for a long time.

boxcopyzw5.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yep, just wait some more. It'll prove itself yet. Just like Intel's Netburst proved itself.

NOT!!!

I have to agree. I've always been a huge AMD fan, but my next machine will be Intel simply because it gives me better technology for the money. AMD's CEO needs to be fired, along with their entire marketing division. One thing they have right now though is a great mid-range lineup - the last few PCs I've built for people have been AMD, as they weren't heavy gamers and they were mostly web/HTPC machines. Saved a couple of hundred off of Intel.

I do, however, like the HD3850 and HD3870 cards. Those are some of the best mid-range cards I remember from either company for a long time.
For most of us building a new main rig you're probably right. But I've been using s939 DC's for new crunchers and they've been great! I may migrate to AM2, though, prices have gone down on AM2 while s939 prices (at least the good stuff) are now going up.

It's like keeping a performance car, for years the value drops and drops then it starts rising again - but I never expected to see that behavior in relation to computer hardware ... :eek:

@knightwolf- I'll take one of those 9500 "MF" Editions... so even if it clocks like carp and crashes at least I'll have something nice to look at. :)

@AC- if your new Phenom comes in a box like that, don't be stingy... no one will be angry if the poster ends up on the office wall.

@knightwolf- I'll take one of those 9500 "MF" Editions... so even if it clocks like carp and crashes at least I'll have something nice to look at. :)

@AC- if your new Phenom comes in a box like that, don't be stingy... no one will be angry if the poster ends up on the office wall.
They did say hang posters on the walls for inspiration. Might help me keep me a breast of the latest technology. Then again cube knockers will be a big attraction that might actually be a disturbance. Then again we always want to have out developed parabolic equations front and center. See, it's already a distraction.

Megan Inside, oops, wife has my er, internet cable fzzrt!

Last edited:
Back