• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aging router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dolsen

Registered
My building has upgraded internet services.
My router ( Linksys dual band N900) is a E4200, v2. aged 5 years old.
Should I be in the market for a more modern router? I stream a lot of movies, my TV also newer/more capable.
My proposed router should have IP4/6 capability, be dual band ,800.11ac/d,have Ethernet port for printer, and be AC 3200-5300.
Anyone have a thought about above, either purchase, or timing thereof, and any inputs on capabilities?
Appreciate a jingle.
Regards

There's still practically nothing that supports 802.11ad. Netgear has a router with it, but when I saw it on the shelf at a Best Buy the other day, they were asking $600 for it. Also 802.11ad has tiny eensy bitsy range, as in inches. Not feet, let alone across your home.
If you want high end now to last some years, get a Linksys WRT1900ACS or WRT3200ACM, whichever you find cheaper (just make sure it's the ACS or ACM, not plain "AC"). 802.11ac for devices that can use it, USB 3.0 ports, and you can drop a stable version of OpenWRT/LEDE on it with no trouble.

Last edited:
My thoughts are to stick with what you have, especially if it still seems to suit your overall needs. As long as it's fast enough and has WPA2, then it's still serviceable.

I'd say unless you are not able to reach the speeds that you are paying for or are missing features that you need them there's no real reason to upgrade

i'm sold on new tech. i had an ethernet cable nightmare trying to figure out why I couldn't get internet through my in wall cable anymore. i put new ends on but it must have been chewed on by a mouse or something. in desperation i picked up a netgear nighthawk a7000 usb wifi adapter thinking it would have to do until i could run a new cable. the damn thing works great at over 100mbps download speed through a wall and a ceiling across a decent size room. i'm done with wires. this is with a nighthawk wireless router that was expensive but's it's worth not dealing with running cables

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...VEbvsCh2iIAl0EAQYBSABEgIPfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I forget the model but it looks like this
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nigh...d=1514599429&sr=1-2&keywords=nighthawk+router

Last edited:
Back