• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Router Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I just moved and left my router at my old place, as several people were still using it. Skimmed the section, didn't see a thread for basic home routers, thought I'd make one.

I don't need anything too high end, maybe something in the $100-$150 range, and do have some wiggle room there. Dual band is a must (apartment complex, and my laptop is picking up 7-10 networks already). External antennas are preferable.

The majority of the time the most intense thing it'll have to handle is a 4K Netflix stream and a Steam download simultaneously, and I'll try to have either my smart TV or desktop hardwired so it'll have to only push one of those over wifi.

Only things that may be slightly oddball are I'll have a Pihole and Plex server hooked up to it as well, though I suspect the average consumer router should be fine with that.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
That post should direct you well, with it being an apartment building just check the manual for the router and make sure you can manually set the channel for your 2.4GHz and 5GHz band.

Went back and forth a lot, decided to go with the TP-Link Archer AX3000 recommended on the list. Falls in my price range and might as well go with an AX router for a bit of future proofing.

Went back and forth a lot, decided to go with the TP-Link Archer AX3000 recommended on the list. Falls in my price range and might as well go with an AX router for a bit of future proofing.

Those look like really nice units, let us know how you like it!

Those look like really nice units, let us know how you like it!

Thanks. Sadly it doesn't come in till tomorrow - all the local stores are still limited on home networking equipment. One more night of having to tether through my poor phone :cry:

Thanks. Actually had a 868L refurb at my last apartment, nice little unit. Have the 880Ls been discontinued? Nothing on Newegg and Amazon has only one seller with new stock but they're listing it at $200+.

Already grabbed a CM100v2 locally, ISP was running a deal on their 500mb down package so I needed something DOCSIS 3.1.

What do you mean "nothing on Newegg?", 880L's are still available on Newegg, click the link in my post.

What do you mean "nothing on Newegg?", 880L's are still available on Newegg, click the link in my post.

Shows as "Ships from China. Most customers receive within 7-32 days." though. None of them for Sold and Shipped by Newegg, only by a third party.

Huh, strange, when I checked earlier it came up as OOS. Either way, I needed something ASAP and the TPLink came in this morning.

Back