• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP 8x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Southern

Registered
with the new agp 8x cards entering into the mix it brings me to a question.Will a current agp 4x card be able to run at agp 8x with a bios flash or is agp 8x hardware different.Why buy a new mobo today if it will be unable to support agp 8x..RIGHT??:confused:

Nerp??????????????????:eh?: :eh?: Thats a new one. They will be compatible with AGP v2.0@ 4x. AGP 8x is a part of the new AGP v3.0, which will run either 4x or 8x.

Let me word this another way.If i buy a IT7 max mobo that is agp 4x and later i buy a agp 8x video card will a bios flash enable agp 8x on the mobo to take advantage of the additional band width.Or will i need to buy a new mobo to take advantage of agp 8x on the mobo itself. I need to know if a mobo is 4x will it always be 4x.Meaning nothing you can do to it..Like a bios flash?

OK Peng.after reading your first post a little closer i see u said only 4x.Crap, i want a new set up now..I guess i will have to wait..:(

Ok folks heres the deal with agp:

agp 1.0 2x,1x 3.3v (old *** mobos)
agp 2.0 4x,2x,1x 1.5v some support older 3.3v but not agp 4x i think (what most mobos have now)
agp 3.0 8x,4x 0.8v (what the new mobos are gonna have)

so unless you could make a agp4x card run at half it normal voltage (0.8vs1.5) and double the bandwidth(8x vs 4x) your out of luck. The only card now that has agp 8x is the new ATi Radeon 9500 / 9700 / Radeon 9700 Pro and the new nvidia chip.

Wrong, the Matrox Parhelia. No, wait, you're right. The only true video cards with AGP 8x are the new ATI's.:p

Back