• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AHHHH hit a wall! AMD 955be

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Made all 3 of the aforementioned changes, prime95 ran LONGER... maybe 1.5 min? Temps peaked at 51*C right before the crash.

You've got one of those 955s that just won't go to 4.0. Not all will. You're also having a temp problem if you hit 51 C after only 1.5 minutes of Prime.

I'm honestly not sure how to check that. The mfg date on the cpu itself says 2009 if that helps.

Go into CPU-Z and tell me the Stepping/Revision number. Example - RB-C2 or RB-C3 (that is the revision, which is also the stepping.) The stepping in simpler terms under the title "stepping" is either 2 or 3. Telling us this information can better help us in understand how far you can push your CPU/ what your limit is.

I would return the CPU-NB and RAM voltages back to stock and change the cooling and then see how long Prime95 lasts.

I'm suspecting core instability.

I would return the CPU-NB and RAM voltages back to stock and change the cooling and then see how long Prime95 lasts.

I'm suspecting core instability.

If he hit his wall, then he hit his wall. No matter how much voltage, nb frequency, nb voltage, cpu-nb frequency, cpu-nb voltage, etc... you throw @ a C2 it's not going to get past 3.8GHz unless you have some miracle chip.

Drop your HT speed to 1800 mhz. When I was ocing my PhenomII 940 antying over 1850ish mhz would make it unstable.

hmm usually when i have this problem adjusting the TRFC fixes it.

its a setting in XXXns
pick something higher than what your at but i would try to keep it below 200ns

Fringe, any thoughts on where I should tweak? Or trents?

BTW changing the HT to 1800 helped a LOT, instead of bombing out in 10s it went about 90... And now I am experiencing a clean bsod, not just a crash.

Last edited:
Fringe, any thoughts on where I should tweak? Or trents?

BTW changing the HT to 1800 helped a LOT, instead of bombing out in 10s it went about 90... And now I am experiencing a clean bsod, not just a crash.

Its known that lowering the HT Link Speed increases some stability. Its not 100% proven but in many cases people have got more stable OCs doing so. Here are my steps on how to get a stable OC.

1. Fix your ram timings. Unstable ram timings = unstable OC PERIOD!!! If you don't know your timings and ram voltage or if it's not printed on the side of the ram module, call your ram manufacturer and demand them to tell you what timings to run :) You can manually do this all your self, but why bother when you can just get recommend timings. Now you can tighten and loosen the timings if you are going to OC the ram, but you can do that in a later OC chapter. For now just tackle the CPU and NB until you get a stable OC, then worry about OCing the ram later.

2. Find a sweet spot with voltage and frequency.. Up the frequency on default voltage till you crash, when you crash up the voltage by 0.25 mv or the next notch up, and continue the same process of finding your max frequency per voltage increase. Do this till you find your max.... It will take time but in the end you will find out what frequency go with what voltage level.

3. Don't worry about CPU-NB or CPU-NB Frequency... Just leave it at auto..

4. The NB is just like the Core, find the sweet spot for frequency vs. voltage. I got mine to 1.300v @ 2400MHz. You can start there and work your way around it, or you can manually find your own limit :).

If I made any typos, I apologize.. I really didn't feel like going back over it thoroughly :(.

Take care and I hope this helped. I might make a video on my Youtube channel some time later explaining how to OC on the AMD platform :)

If you need to contact me for any OC questions ASAP, here's some of my contact information.

Twitter: @Fr1nge
Steam: 360Vasiliecod
Xfire: 722vasiliegx

Just hit my up with a DM on either and I'll try to help ASAP.

Back