• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air trap positioning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seal

Hi guys n gals, i need some of your expert advice once again (im new to wcing) shall i go:

(my air trap is basically a T junction.

Pump -> Air Trap -> Rad -> CPU -> Pump *or
Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> Air Trap -> Pump

Which is better? Advantages and disadvantages pls.

Also is there another better configuration i should use or does that sound ok?

Thanks
Seal

mmm Guess I get to fire the first shot!

How effective it is trapping air depends more on where it is in relation to the rest of the system on a vertical plane. I always noticed that mine traps more air when it's as high as you can get it.

Really I have another idea that works better. If you put the T in a bend so that some of the water is angled up the T line. Water will be forced up the T line and therefore you'll purge air faster. Kinda like making some of the air take a B-line out instead of running through the system afew times until it decides to float up the T.

You're flow will be lessened because of the curve in the line and the fact that some of it get's stuck in the T. It won't make any differance at all.

-Toysrme

Do you mean something like this:

(My first chance to show off my 1337 paint skillz)

Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> Air Trap -> Pump is the BEST place for this and is where I have mine. The reason is the pump will prime (fill with water) when you fill in this location. Here is a pic of mine:

insidebare.jpg

I played around with a few air trap designs over the summer. The best setup I built would practically bleed the system instantly.
I never got a chance to take pics of my clear pvc pipe prototype but I do have a pic of the model I used to build that one:
newcase8.jpg

Cool, one more question, do you put caps on the end of the tube of the air trap? If you do, will it need a little hole in the top for air to go out/in?

Actually the best thing to do with airtraps is to seal them off with a cap. This way it buidls up negative pressure in the system and will make a very slight flow increase.

Seal that was a beautiful picture <g> That's it exectly!
Correct on the negative pressure. You know you get it right when the water level in your top off drops with the pump on.
-Toysrme

Back