• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alpha PAL 8942 heatsink ..anygood?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_shell

Registered
I just fiished reading an article in MaximumPC about their Dream machine. It's a P4 2.53 Ghz that they overclocked to 2.85 Ghz.

They used an Aplha PAL 8942 ( constructed of copper and using hexagonal dissipation shafts) with their standard Alpha 80mm delta fan.

They reported no heating probles whatsoever.

Has any1 tried this setup? Is it any good. I would like to try a air cooled system thats reasonably priced for the performance and the best performance for sound trade off.

If there are better solutions please let me know. Any feedback and/or comments are appreciated. Thanx.

It's like in the top 3 at the overclockers.com heatsink ratings page. Do some searching on it here, it's well liked amoung the P4 crowd here.

I've just put an Alpha 8942 w/ a 39cfm Sunon fan on a P4 2.8 (not overclocked). P4T533-C Motherboard, Lian Li Case & an Enermax 465 w/ adj. fan.

With only the 2 front case fans & the P.S. fan on low, idle temp is at 40-42. Currently Prime95 has been running the "torture test" for about 12 hours & the highest temp I've seen is 51:cool:

I'd say the 8942 is doing a good job & the fan noise is at what I'd consider reasonable levels.

Just an update... Prime95 is still running & after 24hrs, the highest temp was 51. I decided to turn on all the fans at their highest speeds (2 supply, 4 exhaust & 1 P.S. exhaust). Temps are now at 45 with Prime95 still running.

Back