• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative to MalwareBytes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeThePpl

Registered
Greetings! We all love MalwareBytes, it is a wonderful program. I work in IT/help desk and I encounter viruses on a daily basis. One of the main removal tools I use is MB. I do not know how many of you actually read the EULA, but the most recent update forbids computer or help desk operations from using the free software unless a license is purchased for every computer you install it on.

I usually push it off of an ftp and then download the updates on the infected machine(s). Now that I cannot do it... I have to find something that is comparable to it. Some piece of software that will offer the same benefits and thoroughness that MB offers. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you for your reply! I really like ComboFix, I occasionally use it. I am concerned with the side effects it may have on the systems, though. I use MB because it has failed me fewer times than I can remember. Would you say it is a good, safe alternative?

I find it to be very thorough, yes. I don't see many infected systems here, though. We usually just flatten them.

I won't stop using malwarebytes until they no longer remove infected items unless I pay. Until then EULA be damned. :p

Once they do that (and sounds like they are positioning themselves to, like Spysweeper years ago -- free for a while then suddenly a prompt to purchase for removal) some other company will start the free good removal software cycle again. Then they will eventually fall into the same trap of wanting to make some bigger bucks, and won't heed the warnings of prior failed software tools that went this avenue. Malwarebytes is sadly following in the footsteps of many software packages before them and will meet the same dismal fate.

Changes aren't permanent, but change is.

Beware with Combofix that it deletes the Temp folder contents... This can be an issue with the malware out there that hides all of the users files and start menu items. They are temporarily stored in the Temp folder and are deleted when CF is run.

I use a combination of MalwareBytes, ComboFix, and Microsoft Security Essentials for most malware that my customers get on their PCs.
As for the recent change in the EULA, I see it as a tool that is left on the machine for the end user to use, I am simply installing it for them.. :)

Back