• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 6300 and an ASRock 970 PRO3 Overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your temps are fine for where you're at. Though you may try turning the Cm 212 90 degrees and have it blow towards the rear fans, if they are still exhausting air. This may help keep the VRM section a little bit cooler due to air flowing over it.

As far as the 4870 and 7850 first just to correct your terminology, with AMD it's Crossfire and NVidia it's SLI, just a FYI. No you cannot crossfire those two cards.

If you're up to it just find a spot with no screws, directly behind the CPU and cut a hole!

Your temps are fine for where you're at. Though you may try turning the Cm 212 90 degrees and have it blow towards the rear fans, if they are still exhausting air. This may help keep the VRM section a little bit cooler due to air flowing over it.

As far as the 4870 and 7850 first just to correct your terminology, with AMD it's Crossfire and NVidia it's SLI, just a FYI. No you cannot crossfire those two cards.

Yeah when I was installing that heat sink and fan I could not for the life of me figure out how to turn it 90 degrees to blow towards the fan... it's the first thing I tried.

Yeah I knew that it's Crossfire... I don't know why I typed SLI lol Oh well though maybe I will give my 4870 to a good home then. lol

If you're up to it just find a spot with no screws, directly behind the CPU and cut a hole!
Yep! I fully intend to do that. As soon as I can!

Last edited:
Yeah when I was installing that heat sink and fan I could not for the life of me figure out how to turn it 90 degrees to blow towards the fan... it's the first thing I tried.
When I first installed my 212 I had it in the same configuration you have it in now. It's just a matter of changing the X brace and lining it up with the screw holes.

Ok I think I tried that but because of the way the board is set up it wont work. I messed with it for like 4 or 5 hours trying to get it turned 90 degrees but I could not get the holes to line up. I will try it tomorrow.

stats look good. Not sure what the auxtin is but everything else looks good.

1. Do you have the option to rotate you CM 90degrees to push the air towards your exhaust fans?

2. You could cut a hole in your case were the CPU socket is and mount a fan right to the case blowing air directly on the socket. I don't know how comfortable you are with case modding.

Edit: Opps sorry didn't see page two. Lol but same info either way.

Yeah I am going to try and rotate my heatsink and fan tomorrow and take some measurements on the motherboard tray and see what that looks like.

What is auxtin? lol

So I switched the fan around so it blows through the heat sink and towards the exhaust. I cleaned up the paste and applied some more to my CPU.

This is right after I booted up my PC without Prime95 running.
Fan switched right no P95.PNG

This is about 15 minutes into running prime95 on the blend test.
Fan working.PNG

I am not sure but it kind of looks like there wasn't much of a change.

EDIT: Also when I pulled my CPU off I looked at the side that has all the little tiny pins and it looked like there was some darkening on one of the edges moving toward the center.

Nice. So is your concern your cputin (socket) temp? 55C is good for a stress temp. And your CPU package temp look great.

Mainly my overall temps, I am wanting to OC the CPU a little and want to make sure everything is running smoothly. Yeah there is a few degree difference in socket temp after I switched around my fan and heat sink when comparing before and after screenshots if I am reading them right.

So that we all use the same page in the book...

Okay you post this with a pic of HWmon >>
This is about 15 minutes into running prime95 on the blend test.<< but that leaves me wondering at what speed the cpu was running. Cpu speed is of a hefty importance when looking at HWmon. If you have those temps at the default cpu speeds then you may or may not be too hot for much of an overclock. But if the temps were at 4.0Ghz with all 6 cores running then you have room to gain some overclock. Information is key. Good and accurate display of information makes our answers more real and worthwhile from what maybe 1,000s of miles from your keyboard.

OR maybe I just have a reading issue.
RGone...

Alright as soon as I get home I will reset my CMOS and redo the multiplier and run some tests and post the screens.

RGone was just wondering what your OC was if any. Those temps could be good if you have a decent OC on your system or bad if they are stock

RGone was just wondering what your OC was if any. Those temps could be good if you have a decent OC on your system or bad if they are stock

They're not stock the multiplier is at +1... 20x I think... I haven't messed with it since the last time I upped the multiplier by 1.

Ok here are the new screens... I kind of feel like I am forgetting something.

HWMonitor
Prime95 after adjusting fan.PNG

CPU
Prime95 after adjusting fan CPU-Z.PNG

Memory
Prime95 after adjusting fan memory.PNG

SPD
Prime95 after adjusting fan memory 2.PNG

Yeah looks like I am going to have to install that fan under the MOBO.

1. Have you disabled C1, C1E, C6, TurboCore all the greenie items in bios? Set APM to disable mode and set windows power manager to "performance" mode? You "should" during setup towards a stable overclock.

2. Your ram is running at only DDR800 not DDR1600 or DDR1866 which is what I believe the ram is rated to run.

3. 53c is not too too bad for socket temp but it would be nicer if it were only 10c above the 38c showing as the cpu "core" temp named now package temp. I would test a greater overclock before jumping to put a fan on the rear of the motherboard in the socket area. I certainly would have no negative thoughts about putting a fan to blow on the VRM circuit and by so doing circulate more air to the cpu socket.

4. I think I would manage the items above and then up the multiplier to 19 and test with P95 in blend mode for at least 20 mins and see if there are any P95 indicated errors. Capture the HWMonitor with it having been running while running P95 Blend mode. Also would be nice to give another capture of the memory tab of cpuz after you try and up the ram closer to its' rated speed. You CAN say that you are n0w running at X Mhz but I usually just capture the CPUz tab and post it anyway. Keeps all of us in the loop.

RGone...

Last edited:
Just looks like you forgot to set it after you switched to defaults.

Ok this is as far as I got. Raising the multiplier by .5 more would give me hardware failure notices.

HW Monitor.PNG

CPU-Z CPU Tab.PNG

I have it set at 1866 but for some reason it isn't showing it or it isn't actually raising it to 1866
CPU-Z Memory Tab.PNG

CPU-Z SPD Tab.PNG

I am wondering if there is a setting I missed? I am pretty sure I got all the energy saving stuff disabled. And my power setting is at high performance.

EDIT: Okay so in memory tab you take DRAM frequency and multiply it by 2 which gives me 1866. Okay now that that is out of the way. lol

Yep you're right on the mem it's x2. Are you using a manual voltage or an offset? With the hardware failure you probably need more volys.

Back