• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd & agp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rosewood

Hi all , new to overclocking.
Question is why can't i put my gf3 at 2x agp without it crashing after 5-10mins. It only seems to work in 1x. I'm trying to get smooth gameplay from bf1942 and the only time it was good was when i had powerstrip turn up the agp rate to 2x.. I tried a mild overclock with the fsb ,but only got it to 105mhz before it became unstable. Now is that because one of my 3 memory chips is only pc100 and the other 2 are pc133? .I havent tried voltage yet because i dont have a thermal sensor for the cpu, only the mainboard.I dont have the adjustable dividers for memory or pci buses.All i have for adjustment is fsb in bios,cpu voltage on board and the gf3 thats only at 1x agp speed.So any input on what i should do would be greatly appreciated.

my system

win98(gonna get win xp home soon)
k7600 amd
asus k7m (with amd 4 in 1 drivers and bios 1009)
512 ram (one pc100 128m and the other two pc133)
40gig 7200rpm hd fujitsu
gf3 (hercules)
sbpci128
lots of fans (1 side ,1 back ,1 front,cpu,gpu,pcu)
300watt psu
p.s. no laughing at my system, it once was kinda good....

waiting for nforce2 and maybee a barton?(recomendations?)
thx in advance Rosewood

maybe I'm missing something....but your card should be running at 4x agp. Do you have that option in your BIOS settings

agp

no my k7m only supports up to 2x , but the thing crashes after 5-10 minutes .I ve heard that nvidia drivers automatically set it to 1x if its an amd cpu

ok how high do you think?
I have to keep ide & pci buses under 40 right?
pretty sure pci has built in 1/3 divider. also how high will the agp bus go before i have to worry about hurting my card. I think it starts at 66mhz

Re: agp

Rosewood said:
I ve heard that nvidia drivers automatically set it to 1x if its an amd cpu

Thats not true. I have owned several nvidia cards including a gf3 and the agp speed runs at whatever the bios tells it to on amd procs.

update

found out that in early versions of the 751 irongate, 2x agp created too much noise or something .wasnt fixed until later versions of the k7m came out.

guess im going to have to get a socket a and a new chip now :(

Back