• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd athlon ii x2 255 overclocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i'm going overseas for holiday now for 2 weeks, when i get back i'll post up details about my new system overclocking.

Last edited:
well guys i've just tested the 790fx mobo today would you believe it, it's faulty DOA, i am not one happy camper. so i've returned it. and i'm going to buy the gigabyte ga-890fx-ud5
with kingston hyperx ddr3 1600mhz 2x 2gb ,amd phenom ii x4 955 plus zalman cps10x with 2x 120mm led fans. for all 300.00aus bundle. what do reckon

well guys i've just tested the 790fx mobo today would you believe it, it's faulty DOA, i am not one happy camper. so i've returned it. and i'm going to buy the gigabyte ga-890fx-ud5
with kingston hyperx ddr3 1600mhz 2x 2gb ,amd phenom ii x4 955 plus zalman cps10x with 2x 120mm led fans. for all 300.00aus bundle. what do reckon

Sounds like a good bundle and more current technology.

trents would my 9600gt be ok or should i upgrade to a newer card since all other components are new technology.the gigabyte geforce gtx 400 series which one. i've attached a photo of my 9600gt very quiet operating compared to fan ones. would the card be better if i OC it instead of buying the gtx 400 series card.

Attachments

• 9600gt.jpg
    9600gt.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
You have said you don't use the computer for gaming I believe. A more powerful card would be of no advantage to you unless you are gaming. The 9600 GT is more than adequate for other kinds of computing. Say, that's really a nice looking piece of hardware. No need to overclock it unless you just enjoy the challenge.

Will you still be going with Windows XP? You never said how much memory you were buying but you do realize, don't you that any 32-bit OS cannot utilize a full 4 gigabytes of ram. Do you think it's about time to move up to Windows 7 64-bit?

Last edited:
yes i'll be going with windows 7 64bit plus 2x 2gb = 4gb in total, thanks trents i'll keep the 9600gt i like the cooling. i'll see you guys when i get back from holidays

The Athlon II X4s are a good value. For some reason, many people are not able to overclock the 640s as well as the 630s.

the 630s and even the 620 ( i had a 620 and it was a horrific clocker, got up to about 3ghz and thats not a lie ) otherwise the athlon x4s are great, but the phenom 840 is just the same die ( propus ) at a higherclock for a lower price than the 640 so i would get the 840. if, you do decide on a cpu upgrade in the near future.

Back