• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 6100 acting up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coolguy1212

Registered
Ok so I just built this computer and I'm getting pretty bad lag around windows and in games. In bf3 with everything maxed i get anywhere from 70-130 fps but i still get lag and stuttering. I know its not just the game because it happens in all games(and in single player game modes). Honestly I have no clue whats wrong and I'm leaning towards the idea that the cpu is malfunctioning or something.

My spec and info:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (BIOS Version: F11c)

Cpu: AMD FX 6100 3.3Ghz (Cpu-z screenshot )
cpu never goes above 55 degrees.

RAM: G.Skill sniper series 8gb 1600mhz (timings are set in the bios 9-9-9-24)

PSU: Corsair GS600w (Psu voltages: 3.296v and 12.112v)

Gpu: Evga Gtx 550 ti sc(Gpu-z screenshot )
GPU temps after 1h of bf3 GPU drivers: 306.97(latest)

If I forgot to include something or you need more info on my parts just let me know.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

What are your core and CPU socket/motherboard temps running under load? If you're not sure, have HWMonitor open on the desktop while you game. It will record max, min and current temps. The FX CPUs have complex APM schemes that effect down-throttling of the cores when temps/power draw exceed certain thresholds. Do you still have Turbo, C6, C1E and APM enabled in bios?

Or, is this a video driver problem?

Alright I'll get that info for you. It could be a driver issue but I don't think it is. Ive tried different driver version and I'm currently using the latest and I don't see a performance increase. And yes i believe all of that is still enabled in the bios.

Last edited:
I would try disabling all those power saving, down-throttling technologies I mentioned.

Ok so I just built this computer and I'm getting pretty bad lag around windows and in games. In bf3 with everything maxed i get anywhere from 70-130 fps but i still get lag and stuttering. I know its not just the game because it happens in all games(and in single player game modes). Honestly I have no clue whats wrong and I'm leaning towards the idea that the cpu is malfunctioning or something.

My spec and info:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (BIOS Version: F11c)

Cpu: AMD FX 6100 3.3Ghz (Cpu-z screenshot )
cpu never goes above 55 degrees.

RAM: G.Skill sniper series 8gb 1600mhz (timings are set in the bios 9-9-9-24)

PSU: Corsair GS600w (Psu voltages: 3.296v and 12.112v)

Gpu: Evga Gtx 550 ti sc(Gpu-z screenshot )
GPU temps after 1h of bf3 GPU drivers: 306.97(latest)

If I forgot to include something or you need more info on my parts just let me know.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

i would try turning down your settings. a 550 ti isnt really up to the task of max graphics in bf3

Try taking a fan and have it blow around the CPU socket area the VRM heat sink. May be heat related down-throttling.

I cant really tell if it made it worse or if its the same and all the temps are fine still. I dont think its overheating.

I know Trents has mentioned this but if you're board has APM in the bios (usually in pc health or one of the sub menus) you need to disable it. If you put a load on the CPU does the freq of the CPU fluctuate ?

I know Trents has mentioned this but if you're board has APM in the bios (usually in pc health or one of the sub menus) you need to disable it. If you put a load on the CPU does the freq of the CPU fluctuate ?

No it doesnt change i already disabled it.

what about your network? bf3 lags and rubberbands hard without decent internet

It does it in all games and in both multiplayer and singleplayer. It does it in dayz too so i know its not my gpu because dayz is a more cpu intensive game.

Have you tried running F10 bios? As the bios you're running now is a beta and may still have some glitches

for the 5th time its not just battlefield so please stop posting bf3 fixes. The problem isnt bf3.

Yeah and that link was not for a person with BF3 only issues. What was shown was a link to his video to see if yours was similar to his problem.

Everyone of these video game issues no matter the game really all fall back to the same types of problems in general. Game, game patch, video quality, ISP, video drivers or other conflict and ram.

With the FX processors there was a steam issue that was fixed in most bioses after about March of 2012.

for the 5th time its not just battlefield so please stop posting bf3 fixes. The problem isnt bf3.
Describe the stuttering.

Like a smooth slideshow? (...ironic, right) (frames look like they are displayed with equal time in between, like a bunch of changing pictures)
Or
Like a tick that just shows up once in a while or once in a few seconds?
Or
Like, you go from 70-100 FPS down to 30FPS even shows the FPS difference for no reason at random?
Or
It says 70-100 FPS but it looks to you like 20FPS? (related to first option)?

Describe the stuttering.

Like a smooth slideshow? (...ironic, right) (frames look like they are displayed with equal time in between, like a bunch of changing pictures)
Or
Like a tick that just shows up once in a while or once in a few seconds?
Or
Like, you go from 70-100 FPS down to 30FPS even shows the FPS difference for no reason at random?
Or
It says 70-100 FPS but it looks to you like 20FPS? (related to first option)?

I cant really explain it lol. The best i can do is that i feels like im getting 10 fps when im actually getting alot more or it feels like something is overheating but its not.

Back