• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD man joining the Dark Side

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I use a Rampae Hero with the same cpu for my gaming rig, i can't complain its a great board only thing missing is the sata express, might be worth a look

I feel you can do better than the Hero for the money. For most people's uses, an ASRock Extreme 6 is a better choice.

Last edited:
Having owned both a Hero and an Extreme6, I can't recommend the latter enough.

Destroys. Ok. 2 more sata ports, an extra NIC port(who uses two?!!), they both have m.2, slightly better audio in the ex6. I guess I'm missing the 'destroy' (the dramatization of the differences) part and having to say no offense to the guy for that choice?! Come on...reel it in a bit man. :)

Is it a better bang for the buck? Sure it is (depends on uses but for the op, yup). But is it soooo bad, "a joke" or "infinitely better", that you need to chide the guy for his choice over a $25 difference? THAT is where I take exception to your posts here. ;)

Last edited:
Destroys. Ok. 2 more sata ports, an extra NIC port(who uses two?!!), they both have m.2, slightly better audio in the ex6. I guess I'm missing the 'destroy' (the dramatization of the differences) part and having to say no offense to the guy for that choice?! Come on...reel it in a bit man. :)

I'm Canadian. We're very concerned about offending people. We say sorry to eachother more than any other country on the planet. 2 NICs are highly useful. Lauren from TastyPCTV uses 2. She uses 2 cable internet providers and has both connected to her system simultaneously for faster transfer rates. The Ex 6 has better audio, more SATA ports, 2 full length M.2 slots. I feel that it's justified to say the Ex6 destroys the Hero. Maybe not visually, but in every other way (except maybe power delivery) it definitely destroys that board.

Is it a better bang for the buck? Sure it is (depends on uses but for the op, yup). But is it soooo bad, "a joke" or "infinitely better", that you need to chide the guy for his choice over a $25 difference? THAT is where I take exception to your posts here. ;)

I'm not chiding anybody. I'm giving my opinion on something. I didn't say "You made a terrible decision by buying that board".
But, to please the masses, I have edited the comment into something more politically correct.

Last edited:
I do admit that the extreme 6 is more bang for the buck. when i chose the hero i thought to my self ok in the past i bought a rampage formula at the time it was the most high end board with all the bells and whistles then i bought rampage 2 extreme when the i7 965EE came out again most high end asus board at the time with all the bells and whistles. in the end i did not use most of the those tiddly addons. this time around i just wanted a board that was an ROG board that had everything i needed and nothing i really didn't need or would not end up using. for mobos i always choose asus first its what i have always done. in the early s775 days i did buy a gigabyte board and well i wasn't as happe with it as with Asus the only other company that has won me over is EVGA

I do admit that the extreme 6 is more bang for the buck. when i chose the hero i thought to my self ok in the past i bought a rampage formula at the time it was the most high end board with all the bells and whistles then i bought rampage 2 extreme when the i7 965EE came out again most high end asus board at the time with all the bells and whistles. in the end i did not use most of the those tiddly addons. this time around i just wanted a board that was an ROG board that had everything i needed and nothing i really didn't need or would not end up using. for mobos i always choose asus first its what i have always done. in the early s775 days i did buy a gigabyte board and well i wasn't as happe with it as with Asus the only other company that has won me over is EVGA

ASUS is not the be all and end all of motherboards. Gigabyte and ASRock make very compelling boards. ASRock typically can't be beaten in value per $. Gigabyte uses a thicker PCB with 2x the copper in it. There are a lot of good things about other mfg's. Also they have better warranty support than ASUS. ASUS warranty support is rock bottom.

IMO, you should always choose the best board for the job. Not the best board from brand "X" for the job, but the best board from among all the major brands (except maybe MSi who have slipped significantly in recent years). I regret buying the 2 ROG mobos I've had. I overpayed and underused them. That's not likely to happen again. I find I can get everything I need out of more affordable boards from other vendors.

Back