• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Unveils Server Roadmap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD just released their roadmap for the server market covering the end of of 2013 and the first half of 2014. They are proposing three types of products to encompass different types of systems, depending of customers needs. Seattle is a brand new CPU, based on ARM Cortex A-57 core, and will replace the Opteron X-series that have just been released by AMD. The new CPUs will feature up to 16 cores, will be system-on-chips (SoC) and be built on 28nm.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how to AMD Opterons compare to Intel's Xeons? Do Quad Opterons outperform Quad Xeon E7s? I heard that AMD excels generally in multithreaded apps, but do they beat Intel? What about dual vs dual? Is the difference between Xeons/Opterons analogous to the difference between the FX/i5/i7 series?

Yes, Opterons are pretty much FX processors, except they put two FX CPUs together to make a 12-16 core Opteron. Same thing goes for Intel. Developing a "big core" CPU costs a lot in R&D, so once it is ready for prime time they try to use it is as many products as possible, from low power to server, with desktop in the middle.

That is why we're quite surprised not to see Steamroller architecture in the high-end server market. There must be something wrong.

That is why we're quite surprised not to see Steamroller architecture in the high-end server market. There must be something wrong.

Something wrong or they're just not finished with it yet? AMD has to get this one right and hopefully they're gonna hold it back untill they actually have something competitive.
I certainly hope so. The last thing they need is another version of bulldozer.

I haven't posted much in a while, but 'Seattle' has game changing potential. That chip also uses the Freedom Fabric that Seamicro developed. AMD bought Seamicro for ~500 million a year ago, this is the first chip that has all the awesomeness on the same die.

In my opinion, both Seattle and Berlin are important product releases for AMD. It may allow the company to grab a decent market share in the micro server and small enterprise server markets. Current Kyoto offering is interesting, but as you said, Seattle has all the goodies!

It seems as they are forfeiting in the high power server for the time being though, only offering a drop-in upgrade for current socket G34 machines.

I`m still waiting for the second coming, but i fear that AMD might go bust before they can deliver something......

Back