• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AN35n ultra sound problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lugee

i set up the on board sound so i could get 6 channel surround. i hooked up my logitech Z640's and i got it to work, but the rear speakers are really weak compared to my the SBlive on my asus. is there something wrong or a driver update that i cna get to fix this?

Both Realtek and nVidia have newer sound drivers you could try but if you have an SBL just throw it in as the onboard will never sound as good. IMHO

Regards, Balrog

Plus there have been reports it eats up as much as 16% of your cpu cycles for the onboard sound. Like he said, if you've got the live...throw it in there. the an35(n)s don't have the best onboard sound system.

yea, i was reading previous posts early, might explain the performance decrease. does this apply to other motherboards as well? or only this the shuttle

Any motherboard using just the ALC650 by itself, when its used in combo with the MCP-T and Soundstorm it performs very well. Save yourself some headaches and throw a cheap SBL in there and be done with it. IMHO

Regards, Balrog

Onboard stuff usually uses a codec to do the job of a regular hardware device. The codec is essentially software, and thus, uses the cpu to do its process. I had thought this practice might have changed since I was last in the market for a board, but it doesn't seem to have. Thats why its usually better to use expansion cards imho. Plus, they can migrate to a new system with you.

One of the reason I chose this board is because it had so FEW features onboard. Not only do I not need a lot of the things, including the onboard sound and LAN that do come with it...but if I did want the other stuff, like SATA or a raid controller...even firewire, I would just buy a card instead.

Just my take on it though.

Back