• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED And I'm back... Slow after OC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you install more programs (that explains the boot)?

Lag has nothing to do with your overclock (its your ISP/what you are connecting to).

Can you download the latest version of CPU-Z too, that shows HT Link speed and CPU-NB Frequency?

Failing SATA drive can cause long loading times and long boot too.

I didn't install more programs, and I mean lagging as in games I play, not even online gaming. As for SATA failures, I don't think so. If I put the setting to default, everything is just fine.

Attachments

• cpu-z.jpg
    cpu-z.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 114
pzykotik had just done a fresh install .... from 32bit to 64bit.

@pzykotik .... the last screen shot we seen from you had you running your CPU/NB @ 1.54v or something close to that. Is your CPU/NB still set that high?

Still looking for help. Someone (trents) told me that I should get 1866mhz ram instead of my 1333mhz. Would this be the solution of my problem? Someone else told me it would, but I don't want to spend 200$ on RAM... not yet. This is a budget (850$) build.

Theres no need to spend 200 on ram as there is plenty of good ram in the
$50 - $100 Canadian. I see your location is Quebec .... if you are close to montreal / Laval or even better in the Ottawa / Hull area check out Canada Computer. Here is a couple examples but there are more ..... check them out.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_613&item_id=048709s

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_613&item_id=038459

There is also some kingston ranm which is a bit cheaper however I have never had great luck when OCing with Kingston ram and why I stuck with GSkill. That is just my personal feeling and I have nothing to back that up.

Besides that the best I can tell you to do is try to OC again ..... taking it slowly after resetting your BIOS as we discribed in your other thread. This time it would be real helpfull if when you get to a point in your OC that fails Prime .... POST some screan shots BEFORE you make any changes to your BIOS

Hm, posting screen shot of the failed OC settings... Well, the OC is stable, I did a 12h run, no errors. I just don't understand WHY is it lagging. On the desktop, even.

Hm, posting screen shot of the failed OC settings... Well, the OC is stable, I did a 12h run, no errors. I just don't understand WHY is it lagging. On the desktop, even.

You might be hitting the APM TDP limit - if you prime95 with coretemp open does it flick between the full frequency and a lower one? Mine did after I overclocked it, after disabling turbo and APM It was much more steady.

Well start with trents suggestion, if you can afford it and update your ram and see what happens. My only thoughts and I could be off base there, were as you can see above the reaction to your high volts. However the best help you can get would be from one of the more experienced members like trents, RGone or BeepBeep work with them. I think BeepBeep asked for some screens above? I'm off to bed ..... moring comes way to early nowadays.

On top of all of that, <1.5v would be a safer (and still not so conservative) range...

32nm /= 45nm...

Also, with the current draw of Bulldozer on 32nm, there's no telling what will happen in time concerning electromigration but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone running 1.5v+ on an AMD 32nm CPU started having degradation issues after a year or two.

So, I've got some time on my hands. I've been told somewhere in this or the other thread to start by changing the multi, and post a print screen of the failing settings before changing them.

So I'll start off with a stock, default, Max Performance power plan, Cool n quiet and such disabled, Prime95'd.

Here goes.

Attachments

• stock default.jpg
    stock default.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 57
On top of all of that, <1.5v would be a safer (and still not so conservative) range...

32nm /= 45nm...

Also, with the current draw of Bulldozer on 32nm, there's no telling what will happen in time concerning electromigration but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone running 1.5v+ on an AMD 32nm CPU started having degradation issues after a year or two.

Isn't it said Bulldozer / Piledriver are perfectly safe at 1.525 and 1.550? I run 1.500 on my FX-8320, and I've seen people going significantly higher on 8350s :S

My off-topicedness... To the OP- Did you bench everything pre and post OC? What are your results? It would be a lot easier to diagnose your problem that way.. (OCing shouldn't be slowing you down, even if you had slower ram..)

Last edited:
Back