• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another which case thread :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CmdrBond

Registered
Hi. First time poster here.

Looking for some good solid advice on which case to get for my next rig.

I am planning on purchasing the following:

M/B: Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3
HSF: Scythe Mugen 2
RAM: OCZ/Corsair haven't made up my mind which yet.
PSU: Strongly considering the Corsair HX 750w
GFX: ATi Radeon Hd 5750 or 5770 (will be looking at X-Fire in the future)
plus a SATA DVD-RW

I will be carrying HDD's over from my current system for the time being (4x SATA Raptors and 1x500GB PATA)

All that really leaves me looking for is a case.

Specifics - Not really bothered with anything fancy, has to be a midi tower (not full or mini), has to be deep enough (wide) to accommodate the Scythe Mugen comfortably and has to be deep (long) because I like lots of space, the longer the better.

I am currently running a Lian-Li (unsure of model) that weighs in at 210mm (8 1/4") wide X 495mm (19 1/2") deep X 448mm (17 5/8") tall. The internals of this case with wise are just about OK, but depth is far too short for my liking.

My tower sits on a trolley under my desk. The max dimensions this allows me are 250mm (9 15/16") wide X 560mm (22 1/16") deep (before overhang) X 595mm (23 7/16") tall.

As I said before, height is note really an issue.

I have looked at the HAF 922 and height and depth are excellent at 502mm h and 563mm d, but it is 3mm too wide :cry:

I have also considered the CM 690 which at 213mm X 482mm X 525mm is only 3mm wider than my current case, a little lower (no real issue) and 30mm longer.

Looks wise I actually prefer the CM 690.

Price wise I am looking at £60-100 GBP (will probably be similar bracket in the states, ie $60-100 USD - I know the conversion is different, but the actual numbers seem to stay about the same).

So can anyone offer some more thick, deep alternatives?

I don't really have any other options, but I can vouch for the 690 being an excellent case with plenty of space, cooling, and good wire management.

The 690 is a good case. I'd recommend the Lian-Li Lancool K62 as a case that would fit your dimensions, look cool physically, stay cool temperature-ally, and keep you cool financially and headache-ally. I've never actually used one, but I am strongly considering buying one to migrate my current rig into, and everybody I've talked to absolutely loves theirs.

Also, :welcome: to OCForums!

edit: Reread your first post's dimension needs, and the Lian-Li mentioned is hardly an increase in depth (.03 inches) so here's one that WILL have a lot of overhang on your case, but is one of the longest (depth-wise) cases available - nearly 28 inches. The Silverstone RV-02 is that case. If you're looking at this case, I'd recommend finding some way to possibly extend your trolley as there's nearly a 6 inch overhang. It is a very nice, high-quality case, however, and easy to build with the 90-degree motherboard mounting system.

Last edited:
I have a CM690, it's a decent case, I mean it can fit just about anything you want to put in there. A few downsides, not too much room for watercooling (lots of modding involved), heavy (all steel construction), and inside is very unappealing, there's a reason these don't come with side windows normally.

on second thought, that lian-li looks very similar to the 690, but it looks properly finished inside. Lian-Li usually makes insanely expensive cases, guess this is their entry model. If the price difference between the Lian Li and the 690 is within $15 or so, I'd go Lian Li. Anything past that isn't really worth it.

Having pulled up the details on the Advance, whilst still not as big as I had hoped, it looks far more than capable for what I want.

That and it should be available in about 10 days in the UK at £89.99 GBP plus shipping.

Just having second thoughts on the PSU now.

I own a TT Toughpower series PSU, and it is fantastic. Scored an amazing review from ocforums' PSU reviewer "Oklahomawolf" also a writer on Johnnyguru.com.

I'd recommend the Toughpower series or a corsair PSU. Whichever you decide on, I suggest checking our jonnyguru.com to see if there is a review on it first, fantastic work on that site.

Back