• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec gets in on the ddr4 scene

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

yep that antec. the one that used to make sweet black cases. the mem is nothing to write home about, ddr4 3000@ 16-18-18-36. strange.
https://www.techpowerup.com/244847/antec-enters-the-pc-memory-market-with-antecmemory-brand
what happened to them? its like they dropped off the face of the earth in regards to cases? are they making a come back?

if you scroll down the page they have also released some ring style rgb fans. the only specs are rpm and cfm tho.
found some new to me psus as well
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...igh_current_gamer_gold-_-17-371-107-_-Product
i know they used to carry some really good ones but no idea if these follow that trend.

short discussion about antec at johnnyguru.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/sho...t=Antec+High+Current+Gamer+Gold+Series+HCG850

Last edited:
The only Antec gear I ever bought was a power supply, and it didn't work so I had to return it. Kind of gave up on them then (about 5 years ago).

I still have an Antec case, but not sure if I have any of their PSUs currently. They were more of a brand a long time ago. It is curious how these things move around... as a parallel I think around the time Antec were live, OCZ were doing all sorts of stuff too, until they kinda went quiet and got taken over by Toshiba was it?

Antec still has some nice products. Their older PSU were really good. There were still some let's say, not the best products.
I have no idea what to think about Antec memory but looks like someone is manufacturing it for them. I can be wrong as I haven't seen similar design in other brands.

EVGA had their moment with DDR4 and I even reviewed one kit on the Overclockers. I have no idea who manufactured it but was somehow looking a bit like G.Skill.

OCZ was good for some time but RMA rate made them to limit original ideas and in the end was only worse. I still have one of their kits somewhere. They had also great PSU but it was more because of PCP&C was manufacturing them. Everything from other OEMs was pretty average with higher RMA rate.
Toshiba took over OCZ to have additional consumer SSD brand which was already popular. I think it's because Toshiba had no SSD on the consumer market. Their early SSD were for business/enterprise market. Now we see how they are slowly killing OCZ brand. Newer drives have larger Toshiba logo and in some time I guess that OCZ will be removed from the market.

I used to love their cases. Simple, elegant and effective but once they started going with all the huge fans and lights I lost interest. As for their Ram, I'm sure they will use the same Samsung like everyone else

Antec cases were mosty just rebranded from a lesser known company.
Their PUS were mostly the same.
Nice to see them making a comeback ether way.

I don't remember any rebrands. Their products had antec markings on metal elements like pressed logos etc. There was one brand which used to have similar case design but it was maybe 15 years ago.
Antec PSU were actually different from most brands. I don't know what were they using in lower series but their higher PSU had non-standard elements which you couldn't find in any other popular brands. Maybe 12 years ago they had top PSU series. For couple of years, some other brands have simply better and cheaper products so we don't hear much about Antec.

Most of there cases came from chieftec. The earth watts line was rebranded deltas, same for the high current gamer pro line. A lot of the older PSU were also chieftec units

I remember only Dragon series that were similar and Antec was still a bit better quality as a whole product (package, painting etc) ... it was ~15 years ago. The same with PSU. Not all Chieftec PSU were made by Chieftec, they could have the same OEM ... again it was like 10 year+ ago. You can say the same about most brands on the market.

I used to love their cases. Simple, elegant and effective but once they started going with all the huge fans and lights I lost interest. As for their Ram, I'm sure they will use the same Samsung like everyone else

ddr4 3000@ 16-18-18-36

Those don't look like Sammy "B" numbers to me. More like Hynix or Micron. And less than impressive, at that.

Hard to say what it is. Gigabyte has the same specs for their new RAM. Can use any IC but Micron for some reason is more like CL17-18 at 3000-3200, even though can run at tighter timings and higher clock. I feel like I'm the only one here who likes Micron IC :p

I don't have any experience with Micron IC, so I can't pick on them. I was just going by the current products from most manufacturers. Heck, I had some luck OC'ng Nanya ICs on a DDR3 board, from 1333 MHz to 1600 MHz. LOL. I don't need any extra out of it so I didn't try any higher.

Back