• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec P183 review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DreamerBrian

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129061

Really all I have to say is: WOW! This case is a Juggernaut! It has so much customization potential that would have any enthusiast skipping around the room. With space for 4 External 5.25" drives, 1 external 3.5" drive, and 6 internal 3.5" drives: it's got your every need covered. The coolest part is that the 3.5" drive space is in removeable bays that can easily be stuffed with whatever your heart desires and placed back into your tower, eliminating the chance of damaging your other hardware in the unit.

The PSU mount is on the bottom of the case and can support virtually any type of PSU size, including Antec's oversized PSU series (the name of which escapes me right now).

If you're a neat freak then this case will accommodate your every need. An adjustable size conduit exists between the PSU mount at the bottom and the rest of the tower. There is also space between the backsize of the mobo mount and the case to run wires so that the inside of your tower looks tidy, neat, and whatever other cool word you want to use to describe it.

The front of the case boasts 2 USB2.0 interfaces, an Esata interface, and the normal audio jacks(This case supports HD audio too). The Tower is a sleek dark aluminum with special sound dampening technology. When I turned my system on for the first time yesterday I thought I didn't attach my ATX PSU adapter to my motherboard correctly because I could have swore that it didn't even turn on because it was so quiet!

There's 2 120mm adjustable system fans in this beast. The first one on the top near the rear and the other in on the rear near the top. There's 2 switches on the back of the tower to control the fan speed: low, med, high. I haven't played with that much yet, but I like that it's there in case I want to pump more juice out of this guy and increase the ventilation. There's also plenty of room in the front for more aftermarket fans.

The ONLY drawback that I ran into with this case has to do with the mounting of the drives. It seemed like it took a little bit too much force to get the 5.25" external drive in. After mounting the included brackets to the side of the drive and popping it in, it takes a little more force that I would like to get it set. Also, the way that the 3.5" drives mount in the bay is such that special screws need to be used. The tower comes only with 4 of these screws! It works for me because I only have one drive, but if I had more than one drive to install I would be pretty upset.

All in all: GET THIS CASE! It's totally worth it.

Kisses,
Brian

Thats quiet a review! much appreciated! :) is the sound dampening up to scratch? alas i am still stuck on my Armor+ mx :p only a little outdated!

Also worth taking a look at the Fractal Design Define R3. It's essentially a knockoff of the Antec P183 however they've made some improvements and cut down on the size of the case. Fewer external drive bays and space for 8x hard drives.

Only problem with that, is Fractal Design cases aren't sold in the USA (that I could find at least) :(

Closest place to buy them is Canada.

Very nice write up though, I've always liked the Antec P Series of cases :)

The sound dampening? Hell yes it's up to snuff. When I bought this case I didn't care much about how loud it was going to let my innards be, to be honest. Now that I have it and I can gage the difference between this tower and my old tower - wow! The sound dampening works very well and the only way I can tell if it's on or not is if the power LED is on. Otherwise I would be oblivious.

Kisses,
Brian

Wow, this is a first for me..... They shipped them to Australia instead of the US..... Normally you guys get all the good stuff and we miss out.....

I have the older version of your case the P182, it's very slick, the side panels are very thick and sounds well dampened, just leave the fans on mid/low then you essentially hear nothing when it's running. And another feature I loved is the ability to remove the drive cage allowing the installation of a really really long gpu if needed.

The down side of this case is by today's standards it's a bit low on air circulation if you are building a gaming rig. But overall, if you're into quiet computing, this is one of the top cases to get.

Just picked up my p183...
and damnnn no wonder you say it's a beast DreamerBrian..... it's bloody huge and heavy! hahaha

Love the quality and everything else...
The only thing I'm not looking forward to is once I get all my parts in, having to carry it to where it'll sit eventually underneath my table where there's not much movement space!!

Back