• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any 3930k junkies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RE your volages, It is what it is. I cant think of any voltages that you can raise that would help lower your load voltage with that CPU.. sorry. But voltages are inline and acceptable for that CPU. Your taste needs to change me thinks! :p

RE moot point. No. the about face is still funneh (seemed like an about face due to the context of the post your responded to). Anyhoo, I digress. :)

Fact remains that my praises to the chip are completely unrelated to my concerns with voltage. People still aren't sure what raising voltages on all of these new processors is going to do down the road. It is still moot simply due to the fact I never did anything BUT praise the chip, there was no "About face."

Obviously my "taste" is going to change-- I was instructed that the voltage ceiling was lower than what it actually is, and I still feel like excessive voltage can be a problem down the way.

Are you attempting to troll?

Sorry, sir, attempting to read what was written... my apologies for not understanding what was meant vs what was posted. I misunderstood? :shrug: :grouphug:

Sorry, sir, attempting to read what was written... my apologies for not understanding what was written vs what was meant. ;)

What you understood as written isn't even what is literally on this thread,bro.
Your digression was for the best. I wrote what I meant, and you understood it as something quite different, almost to the point of being strange that you came to such a conclusion.

Oh well.

This chip being easy to volt / OC has nothing to do with my concerns towards max voltage-- your assumed connection between the two has nothing to do with what I wrote / meant.

:grouphug:

Now back to topic if there is anything worth discussing.

If there's no other tricks, gimmicks, or tips when talking about this chip, there's really nothing else left to discuss :p

I'm glad to know these are supposed to be able to volt higher, though.

I was always under the impression the only way to lower voltage and stay stable would be to lower the multiplier as well:/

I was always under the impression the only way to lower voltage and stay stable would be to lower the multiplier as well:/

Aye, typically. Interestingly enough increasing PLL voltage on the new vishera cores allows you to typically run stable a full voltage bump down than normal (Along with a few other careful tweaks)

I was hoping things like that were in place for the newer Intel chips, but who knows :(

Oo really. This chip is my first venture with intel so I wasn't very clued up about voltages on these chips:(

We normally LOWER PLL on chips.. as they are aleady too high (especially with IB CPU's). my 3930K PLL was set to 1.7v IIRC around 4.5Ghz.

There is no IGPU on the 3930k. It's a replica of the Xeon equivalent; however, 2 of it's 8 cores are disabled.

Sorry i should ask What is PLL? Never comes across the term with amd is it intel specific?
PLL = Phase Loop Lock IIRC. WHat it does exactly, I do not know. Its on Intel boards and I havent dealt with AMD since C2D release so no clue on how it affects them and the new FX-8350.

Thanks eskimo, wasnt sure what you meant. :)

Cheers:) ill have a read up:)

From the looks of reviews the 3930k will be a beautiful introduction for me to the intel world:)

We normally LOWER PLL on chips.. as they are aleady too high (especially with IB CPU's). my 3930K PLL was set to 1.7v IIRC around 4.5Ghz.

Think this is defintily the case on Intel-- I haven't messed with it at all. I'll check and see if lowering it gives me good / interesting results.

I also found it odd that raising it affected stability on the new AMD chips. (PLL isn't manu. specific-- It just isn't a voltage setting that typically needs to be screwed around with. Seems to increase stability slightly with Vishera processors, but the voltage change required for this is huge)

There is no IGPU on the 3930k. It's a replica of the Xeon equivalent; however, 2 of it's 8 cores are disabled.

Oh? I suppose I'm thinking of the IVB parts more than anything. The more you know! Man, imagine an unlock on this bad boy :D

Appears to match incoming oscillation to outgoing. So it i presume would be to increase power effieceny, reduce temps and allow a more stable clock as an effect.

Thanks for the help:)

Think this is defintily the case on Intel-- I haven't messed with it at all. I'll check and see if lowering it gives me good / interesting results.

I also found it odd that raising it affected stability on the new AMD chips. (PLL isn't manu. specific-- It just isn't a voltage setting that typically needs to be screwed around with. Seems to increase stability slightly with Vishera processors, but the voltage change required for this is huge)

Oh? I suppose I'm thinking of the IVB parts more than anything. The more you know! Man, imagine an unlock on this bad boy :D

Not to quote myself for any other reason than my follow up-- Lowering PLL didn't allow me to bump my voltage down any. It did give me 1-2C* cooler running temps though. (My ambient temp is literally the same as it was last time I ran the burn in bench, down to the 100th place :D)

I likey! 3930k running at 66-67*c on a H80, I'm satisfied haha

Didn't expect it to. Glad u got to drop temps though!

I just found somethign interesting about this playing around-- It appears I can technically lower voltage..

Just not below 1.390~ On the other hand, I couldn't go above 4.8 without a voltage bump before.. Think I can now!

I left for work with my 3930k running at 4.89 for 3 hours so far on Prime, temps are good and its holding stable so far :D Guess we'll see when I get home. I think it might help that I'm testing out a couple 190CFM 120mm fans I found laying around at work on the H80 (Which netted me a 2*c LOWER temp with this current OC)

Problem? Those bad boys sound like a car :cry:

Get some rubber washers and make a foam tunnel for the rad and fans. Should help cut out some noise:)

Back