• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any chance of my computer living?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fyberwire said:
Fizzled you're right. Distilled water is basically tap water that's boiled into steam, then condensed back into water in another container, leaving all the crap that was in it before in the old container, making it very pure. However, distilled water can be boiled again. Hell, if you get it hot enough, steel could boil, but there's no way that distilled water can't boil.

To get back on topic, lets just say that I hope you've learned your lesson. Hose clamps are a neccessity, no matter how secure your tubing is. Even zip ties help.

Good luck, hopefully that videocard works.
I've learned my lesson... That video card was the single most expensive part in my computer. If it doesn't work, I'll be stuck on a GeForce2 MX for a few monthes :( No Doom ]|[ for me :cry:

Currently looking for something I can put the vid card in so I can let it soak in alchohal... Is 50% isopropal alchohal by volume good enough?

Card's not working :( However, when I went to pull it out, a resistor fell off... So there's still hope. The card is currently in alcohal and will remain that way until I solder the resistor back on.

'nother question. Will corrosion keep the card from working? When I pulled it out of the alcohal, the corrosion was still there... Should I use a tooth brush and take brush it off or something?

if you tried it and it doesnt work alcohol isnt going to fix it ... sorry to say this but it seems like your video card is dead.

try anyways .. if its dead it wouldnt hurt to try

the point of cleaning with alcohol is to dissolve any water and minerals and remove them and then the alcohol vaporizes easily but if you turn it on before cleaning it with alcohol it defeats the purpose

also i wouldnt submerge it in alcohol .. cleaning well with a wet cloth should do the job, i spilled water on my video card once but lucky for me it was distilled and even though it was running while it happened nothing happened

you could try to send it back for warrenty work there is a 99% chance they will say no, but hey 1% is better than none (I did this for my mobo by the way when i fried it and asus sent me a new one)

Not to sound mean (cause have thought of doing the same thing), but how fair is it to a company for you to send back a product that you yourself broke out of negligence and expect to get a brand new one? I am all about warenty and getting stuff fixed that gets broken out of just plain use. I broke a ram chip off my card and my friends told me to just glue it on and send it back and get a new one. I just couldn't do it because as a buisness man I feel bad for them. Sorry just my 2 cents.

DeViL_909 said:
Not to sound mean (cause have thought of doing the same thing), but how fair is it to a company for you to send back a product that you yourself broke out of negligence and expect to get a brand new one? I am all about warenty and getting stuff fixed that gets broken out of just plain use. I broke a ram chip off my card and my friends told me to just glue it on and send it back and get a new one. I just couldn't do it because as a buisness man I feel bad for them. Sorry just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I'd never RMA it... It's out of warranty AFAIK anyway... Might call ATI and see if they'll repair it for like $50... Hopefully they'll feel sorry for a broke 15 year-old computer enthusiast...

Back