• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody ever try...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bruno

anybody ever try blowing a fan, at the backside of the mobo?.

I have a little H/S fan, that wont protrude... thinkin' right behind the cpu.

what do you think? think it'll do any good, or help at all?

Bruno

I'm not too clear about this, but it should help. I've seen people get a dremel and cut the metal motherboard chassis where the back of the CPU, and chipset lay on the motherboard and are suppose to lay on the chassis to get some more air to the chip.

Yodums

That's been tried and someone even tried cutting out the section of motherboard below the cpu and blowing a fan over the bottom. Neither resulted in any significant cooling. The best results have always been achieved by getting air as close to ambient temps as possible to the entry of the HSF.

Hey Tiger..I think you're referring to this thread at the Firestorm Boards. Most likely a Hoax.

Here's a casemod at chicks hardware that has a fan on the right side (backside of mobo) panel. Looks pretty sweet.

WillysNut said:
Hey Tiger..I think you're referring to this thread at the Firestorm Boards. Most likely a Hoax.

Here's a casemod at chicks hardware that has a fan on the right side (backside of mobo) panel. Looks pretty sweet.

Not a bad idea, at all. I like how he used a backup fan to save the processor from dying if the pump failed.

Yodums

Any cooling or air flow to cool is a good thing. However, I experimented with this a bit, and the problem is that chip and board designers plan and design for the heat to go out the top side. More gains can be had there, for example, I played with some cooling of a P4 chip a while back and wondered about the back side of the board. With an average heat sink, say a thermal resistance of 0.30 deg. C / Watt, 99% of the heat load goes out the top of the chip and heat sink. The motherboard itself, has a thermal resistance of about 20 Deg. C / W out the back side. At the same heat load, only about 1% of the heat load goes out that way.

Until somebody creates a specific, two-sided mobo, it is not yet worth the trouble to cool the back side. Good luck.

Koooler King

Back