• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever buy a PSU from directron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YetAnotherNoob

i've never ordered from them before, but they seem to have options for things like power cords among other things...I thought all PSU comes with the powercords...whats the deal?

I have always gotten a cord with any retail PSU, I have had many OEM's that don't include one. one of the reasons they are $10+ cheaper ;) as for Directron I buy most of my cases and PSU's from them, then newegg for drives and cards ect.

well if you buy a case like the antec case that come with a psu, and you don't need it, you have the opinion to get the case without it. And for some reason they send you the PSU cable. I have like 4 psu cables lying around. So that is a good opinion for people like me that really don't need another psu cable. And bump for a good etailer.

Well a PSU is one thing that I have never ordered from directron but I have ordered almost everything from them before. The thing they have about evaluating PSU quality by weight seems just a bit dodgy to me. Yes, I can see how a huge heat sink inside a PSU would most likely help but I prefer to just buy a good brand like sparkle (which does tend to be heavy but even so...).

If you do put in a decent order from directron, they do have one neat deal to look at:

http://www.directron.com/freebadge.html

But don't let that deal make you think that it is worth anything extra if your basic order is close enough to make it worth buying one more item unless it was already something you are planning on buying anyway. That could easily trun into dropping an extra $20 to get your free $1 item. But if you need a new PSU and you decided to run with the stock HSF to save on the cost of a new build last year then it might be a good idea to think about replacing that part anyway.

I ordered the Superflower 550w green chrome PSU from them about 2 weeks ago when it was on sale. Great psu and it came with a cord.

There a great company, probably as good as newegg as far as being trustworthy. But I pass up buying things from them alot of the time due to there shipping charges being higher that newegg on most of the things I seem to want to buy from them... But a good company reguardless of that.

Malpine Walis said:
Well a PSU is one thing that I have never ordered from directron but I have ordered almost everything from them before. The thing they have about evaluating PSU quality by weight seems just a bit dodgy to me. Yes, I can see how a huge heat sink inside a PSU would most likely help but I prefer to just buy a good brand like sparkle (which does tend to be heavy but even so...)

I think the weight issue IS a fair measure of a PSU. It would be too expensive to put extra weight in a PSU, just to jack up the weight. Most manufacturers aren't going to weigh them down, just to make people think they are any better. What I'm trying to say, it is REAL difficult to make a quality PSU that is real light, but it might be possible to make a cheap one heavy. It'll just cost more.

It isn't the mose important feature, when picking out a PSU, but when you are at the store, would you get a 550W PSU, that weighs less than a cheap 300W one?

steve

Back