• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have a volcano 9 hs on an ecs k7s5a mobo??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustymaitland

it seems like i have run into a little snag. i am currently running an xp 1700+ with an sk-6/delta black label. on a quest for cooler temps (and being bored), i went out and bought a volcano 9. it was only $34 cdn so i said what the hell. i am trying now to install the hs on the cpu and it looks like the lip on the bottom of the hs is not sitting flush on the cpu cause the atx power connector on the mobo is in the way. i placed hs clip on one side but when i try to fasten the other side there is a great deal of tension and i don't want to shatter the cpu core.

does anyone have this hs/mobo setup or can anyone offer any suggestions?

Yeah- whip out the dremal (or metal file) and remove the area that hits the ATX powerconenction- AND DONT TURN IT ON WITH IT LIKE THIS.

thanks for the speedy reply/suggestion.....but, no dremel here. time to rummage through my toolbox though. thanks. will report back to let ya know how it went.

Forgive me for saying so, but your choice of an upgrade is a little odd. The HSF ratings (link on OC's front page) has both the SK6 and V9 rated the same.

Having just replaced my V9, I suspect you might be a little disapointed - still you have got yourself a good fan. ;)

i was bored. it was sellin for $34 cdn. i could not resist. next week i am going to pick up the ax-7 or the slk-800. or....i might go out and replace the fan on this v9 with a vantec tornado or the 82cfm delta.

i did drop 3 degrees though and i just installed it! might improve with the as3 cured. we will see. you have the ax-7 with what fan? the same one? interesting.

I have the same setup and the h/s fit no problems. Don't know what you mean by the atx power connector in the way. Unless I have a different revision with new layout. The heatsink is only supposed to be installed one way. Later

i might go out and replace the fan on this v9 with a vantec tornado or the 82cfm delta

The Smart Fan II is rated at 75cfm @ 4800rpm - since they max at around 5300 this would put it in the same range, not as "focused" maybe, but less noisy.

Yes I have moved from the Volcano 9 to the AX7 (using the Tt fan) and my CPU at load has dropped about 5 degrees C.

I think the smartfan 2 would be better then the tornado. I don't think the extra 5cfm would make that much of difference.

i had a v9 on a 1.4athlon tbird with a k7s5a..

I dopped 6-7 degrees over the volcano 7 (junk) i had

I love the manual speed control. it does get a bit loud but for the decrease in temps it was worth it.

maybe the the three lug clip makes for a better contact with the cpu core. I like the 3 lug clip, make me feel better about the heatsink not breaking off socket

Back