• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 9 3900x and x470 not a good combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignazpwns

So. I picked up a 3900x. Till my x570 board came in I decided to plug it in my Aorus gaming 7. Running the latest bios everything was great on my 2700x. Put the 3900x in and won't detect my sata drives or msata.

Needless to say after seeing this I'll stick with the 2700x. Definitely not a fan of having no data drives and the fact this is my first experience with the cpu it was a very bad one. Just a warning to anyone who is using a sata drive on x470 with Ryzen 9. I don't know if this is just a Mobo CPU combo but just thought I would put it out there.

Fixed.

Basically the windows install would just lock up after the reboot to start setting windows up. NDLS error what is an error from the onboard wifi. Fix is pull it out of disable then reinstall windows and then install it from windows after you get set up. Or taking a current driver put it on a usb drive and then install it from that during the install.

The Sata problem is still going on and i have no idea whats going on it it.

Drive worked fine. With the 3900x bios wont detect it. Put the 2700x in and it worked fine. 3900x back in and nothing. Put it in a usb type c enclosure it would detect it but not boot from it. In windows with the enclosure it works fine. So this is looking like a problem with the Aorus gaming 7/bios or the Ryzen 3900X. Same bios the drive works fine with the 2700x so im looking at the 3900x as the cause.

Last edited:
Did you re-install the latest chipset drivers?

Did you re-install the latest chipset drivers?

Yeah everything was updated and even then. Before I swapped it out I downloaded everything and installed it. It's like Sata support is just not there.

And now with my 970 Evo I'm getting Windows 10 install errors. Why my 2700x was super smooth looks like amd is back to doing amd stuff now.

I would not give up on it. There will be a flurry of updated bioses for a while to correct some of these new release issues.

Do us a favor and contact the board manufacturer about this issue. They can't fix what they don't know about.

Looks like it's a ndls error from the wifi. And gigabyte is sooooo amazing can't disable it in bios. So now I gotta figure out how to get the driver from the exe to a USB drive using nothing but my phone. I'm about to go back to Asus I'm sick of this crap bios.

Issue with the install and the wifi. So have a drive read with the latest wifi drivers inf on them. Well see if this works.

Last edited:
Are you using a Nvidia card? I see PCI-e WHEA errors reported by hwinfo64 straightaway with my GTX1060 when I swapped in the R5-3600X in place of the 2600X.

Maybe try using a AMD card for the time being.

Yeah. But the error was windows WiFi driver for the newer builds being out of date. Fix is to side load a new driver during install.

Sorry if I am old and slow.

Do you mean you slipstreamed the latest SATA drivers and your data drives dont show up, or you are just swapping CPUs post install and having issues.

If the latter, isnt there a PCIE upgrade between the two chips? I would imagine you would need a fresh install.

Its possible a chipset install might fix it, I have used the same Vista installation between AM1, 2 and 2+ but generally, when AMD reshapes things they ground up reshape things. And a reinstall is required.

Sorry if I am old and slow.

Do you mean you slipstreamed the latest SATA drivers and your data drives dont show up, or you are just swapping CPUs post install and having issues.

If the latter, isnt there a PCIE upgrade between the two chips? I would imagine you would need a fresh install.

Its possible a chipset install might fix it, I have used the same Vista installation between AM1, 2 and 2+ but generally, when AMD reshapes things they ground up reshape things. And a reinstall is required.

Yeah it should of worked key word should. But I'm thinking you have to side load the driver's. I had to sideload the WiFi driver just to get windows to install.

I can't be mad early adopter stuff and it was about time I moved from the m.2 sata drive to a nvme.

I know this is different and maybe there's something to take from this.

I had planned to try my chip in my X370 but because of my late time getting home I wasn't able to do I went straight to tearing out the old and dropping in my new X570 Taichi. Dropped in my m2 drive and it booted right up ..... everything was working as it should. It's easy to say that's expected but this was all on my old Windows 10 drive still on an old drivers for X370. I am sure there's some difference between the drivers for the two different chipsets. I'm not as knowledgeable as some here on hardware ..... but I am surprised how much trouble you had with the switch when I looked back on my switch.

Camping on what bassnut shared, bignazpwns, I note it seems you did a from scratch clean install of Windows in the course of the new build. And that certainly is what we normally recommend, although I confess I often don't do that because I don't want to have to go to the hassle of reinstalling all apps and data. And to be honest that usually doesn't cause any problems because Windows 10 is so good at adapting to a change in chipset on the fly. I'm just wondering what would have happened had you not done that clean install such that the Wifi driver was already in place.

I would also add that in my experience if a clean OS installation repeatedly hits a snag at the same place it can be due to hardware problems such as a bad stick of RAM or a failing hard drive. I had this happen just the other day on an older laptop. Turned out it had a bad RAM stick.

I know this is different and maybe there's something to take from this.

I had planned to try my chip in my X370 but because of my late time getting home I wasn't able to do I went straight to tearing out the old and dropping in my new X570 Taichi. Dropped in my m2 drive and it booted right up ..... everything was working as it should. It's easy to say that's expected but this was all on my old Windows 10 drive still on an old drivers for X370. I am sure there's some difference between the drivers for the two different chipsets. I'm not as knowledgeable as some here on hardware ..... but I am surprised how much trouble you had with the switch when I looked back on my switch.

Well to be fair it's an old drive from an Intel system lol. And that was a clone from an old system. That install goes all the way back to a 4790k lol. Just weird I couldn't see the drive or any sata drive but I could put them on use adapters and see them just not boot. Bios wouldn't show anything plugged into the sata port or the m2 for my sata m2 drove but instantly picked up my nvme when I put that in. And I been using that drive in that m2 slot for years.

I'm just thinking it's a combination of the bios and CPU. Pulled the 3900x out put the 2700x in and it all worked fine. It was a good reason to switch over to nvme finally that I been putting off for years. Just posted it so if anyone is still using a sata m2 they can see how I fixed it and the typical wifi windows install issues. That's just windows having an old driver in that windows build from the Media creation tool. Easy fix

Well to be fair it's an old drive from an Intel system lol. And that was a clone from an old system. That install goes all the way back to a 4790k lol. Just weird I couldn't see the drive or any sata drive but I could put them on use adapters and see them just not boot. Bios wouldn't show anything plugged into the sata port or the m2 for my sata m2 drove but instantly picked up my nvme when I put that in. And I been using that drive in that m2 slot for years.

I'm just thinking it's a combination of the bios and CPU. Pulled the 3900x out put the 2700x in and it all worked fine. It was a good reason to switch over to nvme finally that I been putting off for years. Just posted it so if anyone is still using a sata m2 they can see how I fixed it and the typical wifi windows install issues. That's just windows having an old driver in that windows build from the Media creation tool. Easy fix

I have read of this phenomenon before but I think it was in relationship to Hackintosh builds.

Makes me wonder if what you experienced was an IRQ conflict issue and when you plugged in a SATA drives it shuffled the IRQs and created access to CPU shares for the NVME. That's probably totally a way of base explanation in a technical sense but how I look at something like that.

Makes me wonder if what you experienced was an IRQ conflict issue and when you plugged in a SATA drives it shuffled the IRQs and created access to CPU shares for the NVME. That's probably totally a way of base explanation in a technical sense but how I look at something like that.

Who knows. I'm guessing it's a Ryzen 3XXX+ Mobo issue

Back