• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone Run Qubes-OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

Just currious if anyone on here runs it...

was looking at system requirements and i know its a resource hog, but it virtualizes everything which looks awesome.

Qubes Release 4.x
Minimum
64-bit Intel or AMD processor (x86_64 aka x64 aka AMD64)
Intel VT-x with EPT or AMD-V with RVI
Intel VT-d or AMD-Vi (aka AMD IOMMU)
4 GB RAM
32 GB disk space

But i was wondering what the best hardware would be to run it, and how hard is it to run a game like WOW, GTA5, or Battlefield?

I was thinking about trying it out on some older hardware that meets those requirements, but i dont know if it will be enough for all i want to do.

https://www.qubes-os.org/

I have no experience with Qubes-OS but am fully qualified to provide unresearched opinions. ;)

I did take a quick look at it and it seems that it is oriented toward security. If that is your primary goal, it seems like it could be a good fit.

You did mention gaming and my uneducated thoughts on that is that the requirements to achieve security could make gaming a challenge. Maybe that's why you're asking. If I were looking for gaming on Linux I think I'd look for a distro with good support for Steam/proton. I've heard proton brings a lot of previously Windows only games to Linux and works well. And that's about the extent of my gaming knowledge.

I'm a little curious why virtualizing everything looks awesome. My preference is for lighter weight solutions like Docker, though those probably don't provide the security that VMs do.

Since it's a free download you could give it a spin to see if it suits you.

Sorry i just saw your reply lol. its been a busy month for me. I want to download it, but i feel like 8GB of ram wont be enough for everything i want to do. I was just kind of doing some research into it cause i like a lot of the features that it provides. Like say opening an email attachment into a virtualized window. Ie if its a virus you dont infect anything and boom destroy the window lol. Not to mention being able to use both, (if not all 3) versions of OS programs that i use on a daily basis.

I do enjoy playing games, but my secondary thought behind that would be just have a second boot drive or something worse case scenario. Im thinking when i finally do upgrade my rig (Which probably be around the next big jump in CPUs) then ill play around with some high end equipment with more ram and such.

i might look into this seems like it might be fun to play with as a hypervisor to try out zen while im firing up this new machine to play with.

You are right, it virtualizes anything that can be run on it.
It is good at compartmentalization and does that to ensure security.

If you want to save some bucks get a system that has no threading in it.
Because most probably it will disable if threading facility exists in your processor.
You could save few bucks if you get unthreaded processor.

Because compartmentalization cannot exist by the side of threading.
Threading allows processing on the same core but with different registers holding the data of different processes.
If the data is unprotected at the processor it can easily be compromised

Back