• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple v. Samsung: Apple Wins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I enjoy having choice! Sure I can create movies, burn movies, extract zips, etc using windows 7, however I still utilize 3rd party programs for these and other tasks.

Apple has it place, just not in my house! :)

I could be the minority but I really don't mind having to install certain pieces of software to perform tasks. Even if Windows did come with built in tools for some of that stuff, I would probably still use a 3rd party utility because they might be better or I am just used to them. I don't really need everything under the sun to be available to me by default. If there were no alternative pieces of software then that would be a different story but with so many applications available, it is nice to have those choices. I'm a guy who will install a base Debian system and then manually install my GUI using the minimal packages just so I don't have extra junk installed. Not having all of the software under the sun available be default certainly isn't a deal breaker for me when I can pick and choose what I want.

When it comes down to video editing, games, sure choice is going to give you exactly what you want. 3rd party apps still exist on other platforms too. Want to save SSH information? Cyberduck has you covered. Plus sftp, everything. But when you have to install sometimes large, cumbersome apps (Adobe reader, looking at you...) just to open a PDF.. if you never do anything you really need acrobat for, why not let the mundane things integrate into the OS, instead of dealing with a 14mb app that has to be installed upon every fresh installation, adding to the total prep time of a system? You also get the advantage of having this integrated into other OS features. Spotlight, Preview, etc. Quick looking a PDF to make sure its the right one is so much nicer than bothering to wait for reader to load, and then opening the PDF.

Mundane daily/common tasks =/= uncommon and specific tasks. Even linux has this right IMO.

This also helps train less experienced/knowledgable users by providing a seamless open/viewing mode, never throwing up a "Windows does not know how to open ...". Unlikely, but an example.. instructing a person to SSH into something. OS X/Linux: Open termina. SSH ip address, done. Windows: google Putty, install it..... wait.... now open putty, put ip address in window, click OK

Makes my life a hell of a lot easier. And that means more time for me to enjoy life. :thup:

I actually spend more time disabling the utilities in Windows that I will never use than downloading those few extra utilities that I will use which are not included with Windows. I see no reason for any OS to not have the ability to disable extras during install, yet I have never seen one that actually has that option.

That being said, I doubt the average user will go through the trouble to disable things they don't use. I also doubt the average user will ever need ssh or use a serial>TTL adapter.

Now, excuse me while I backup some 30GB of stuff to a single, blank BD. :eek:

Playing a DVD?
VLC - 20MB - Plays practically anything you can throw at it.
Opening PDFs?
SumatraPDF - 4MB - Opens anything near instantly (or as instantly as it can be read from disk, a 2GB file will obviously take a while)
Saving as a PDF?
LibreOffice - 200MB. Or, any one of dozens of PDF printer drivers. Or, there's an add-in to Office 2007 straight from Microsoft that adds print-to-PDF support.
create a disc image.
InfraRecorder - 4MB - Burns from files or image to disc and from files to image. My previous post mentioned Virtual CloneDrive, if you need to mount one of those images.

Note that every single one of those needs can be fulfilled by FOSS software, and everything could fit on an old 256MB thumb drive, or be burned on a CD-R.

Using a serial->TTL adapter without drivers, or oh hey look, even hyperterminal is gone from windows 7 now. :rofl:

Now I see that you're really just clueless. Just because the operating system includes the driver doesn't mean there isn't a driver. Also, please tell me exactly how many people make a pre-installed serial-TTL driver a part of their operating system considerations. :rolleyes:

All of these actions require third party applications, whereas Linux and OS X its built in. Why work harder than you have to?
  • Linux does not have them built in. They are usually included on the distribution discs, though. I'm pretty sure they're not built into OS X either, but just included and installed by default. If a tool like nLite existed for OS X, you could probably choose to remove them and have the operating system continue to work. In the same manner, you could "distribute" a small flash drive with your Windows discs with similar applications, or just burn them into an "Apps" folder on the same disc.
  • I don't work harder than I have to. It's no work to plug in the USB drive and click a few installers. Given a bit of time (and only needing to be done once, maybe taking just a minute or two to later add any additional applications), I could probably write an NSIS script to automate the whole thing and have it autorun when the drive is plugged in.

SSH is pretty standard. Especially in an administrative *nix environment.
Note the correction. Windows is a primarily GUI-based system. Windows includes an RDP server and client. Why should it include SSH, when SSH is not a practical way to manage a Windows installation? If you really need it for Windows, install PowerShell and msysgit on a USB drive, and you've got a half-decent terminal, ssh, and a bunch of GNU tools. You keep acting as if external drives don't exist. Tell me, how did you install Windows in the first place? In this so-called "administrative environment", I'm pretty damn sure you didn't just go with the OEM pre-installed bloatware.

Last edited:
I could be the minority but I really don't mind having to install certain pieces of software to perform tasks. Even if Windows did come with built in tools for some of that stuff, I would probably still use a 3rd party utility because they might be better or I am just used to them. I don't really need everything under the sun to be available to me by default. If there were no alternative pieces of software then that would be a different story but with so many applications available, it is nice to have those choices. I'm a guy who will install a base Debian system and then manually install my GUI using the minimal packages just so I don't have extra junk installed. Not having all of the software under the sun available be default certainly isn't a deal breaker for me when I can pick and choose what I want.

I'm the same as you. If I had my way, my Windows install would have Explorer.exe and DirectX out of the box.

Yeah, big win for Apple, and Samsung did rip them off, but I still think the patent system is out of control. Rounded corners is not an invention. The GUI that Apple ripped off from Zerox, now THAT was an invention!

So many stuff have been invented already somewhere, even by nature. In fact, countless inventions came from the nature but nature isnt protected by a license.

Regarding other stuff, its mainly a matter who got the biggest stick. Im sure many patents has been stolen from weak companys and they do lack the stick to protect theyr rights, so it can safely be stolen. However... when someone steals from Apple, they gonna bleed.

VLC - 20MB - Plays practically anything you can throw at it.

Not practically nor theoretically. practically it fails at BDMV and theoretically it fails at many old file formats.

Last edited:
Not practically nor theoretically. practically it fails at BDMV and theoretically it fails at many old file formats.

Nothing supports everything out of the box. This does not invalidate the argument.

vlc plays bdmv just fine once the copy protection is stripped out. Done blame the video player for the M.P.A.A punishing paying users with draconian drm.

interesting thread... lets hope karma does her job

its all personal preference .. i myself just like to get the job done quickly.. which comes down to hardware specs for me ..

the whole apple vs. samsung and talks of moto n google means things r gonna get crazier .. lets just hope it creates a need for programmers :D

Last edited:
Apple products are designed for brainwashed idiots who think that they are buying a superior product, when in fact they are buying an inferior product with a grossly overinflated price tag. I bet the Apple shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank over how stupid the masses are. Apple are a dishonest company who seek to mislead consumers into thinking they are buying the best product, when in fact many of their products are far behind what the competition offers. This wouldn't be an issue if the Apple products are priced accordingly.

I personaly see this as a way to help apple protect apple.

They lost market share in a market they helped create (didn't create but certainly made more mainstream) their next device was looking to be more of the same (which was already losing market share remember?). If you can't beat them, and you can't join them, maybe you can make the government make them pay you?

I for one can not stand apple fan-boys, which is ironic to me that they exist where I work. (At an IP Law firm) Constantly ignorant statements are made by these people who help author patents in the first place. They clearly don't understand the technology they are helping to protect, how can I expect a jury to do any better?

I can say apple is good at inovation, however you can't patent innovation cause it always relies on somebody else's invention. IE iPhone, iPad, etc. They do make good products though. Hell I'm posting this from my MBPR.

Apple products are designed for brainwashed idiots who think that they are buying a superior product, when in fact they are buying an inferior product with a grossly overinflated price tag. I bet the Apple shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank over how stupid the masses are. Apple are a dishonest company who seek to mislead consumers into thinking they are buying the best product, when in fact many of their products are far behind what the competition offers. This wouldn't be an issue if the Apple products are priced accordingly.

I find the amount of angry people who believe in Apple brainwashed idiots far outweigh the actual Apple brainwashed idiots.

I find the amount of angry people who believe in Apple brainwashed idiots far outweigh the actual Apple brainwashed idiots.

Just about every Apple user is a brainwashed fool for believing the marketing hype which states that Apple products are superior in almost every way to the competition.

Almost everything that an Apple computer can do can also be done on Windows or Linux just as easily. I'm yet to actually find a useful Apple application that doesn't have a Windows or Linux equivalent.

Just about every Apple user is a brainwashed fool for believing the marketing hype which states that Apple products are superior in almost every way to the competition.

Almost everything that an Apple computer can do can also be done on Windows or Linux just as easily. I'm yet to actually find a useful Apple application that doesn't have a Windows or Linux equivalent.

I just skimmed over your last few posts, and still fail to see what you're getting at. My parents use both macbooks and Iphones simply because they like how they are well built. Yes, you can get similar specs to both in a cheap Dell or Acer, but I'm speaking from experience when I say it's simply not worth it. I used both an HP Pavillion and a MSI netbook before getting my X220, both were a PITA to use simply because they started falling apart after 6 months. My X220 has held up fine since early January, and guess what? When I bought it, it fell right in line price wise with the 13" macbook pros with similar specs.

The Apple products my parents use held up just as well, and that's the point I'm trying to make. Yeah, you can get a Honda or Toyota with 200 horsepower, but if I ever get to the point I can afford it, I'd rather spend more and get the BMW or Mercedes with the same horsepower.

(As a side note, I'm not a fan of Apple. Used an Ipod I got for Christmas for a year or two, but so far I've never seen an Apple product I liked enough to spend my own money on.)

I just skimmed over your last few posts, and still fail to see what you're getting at.

Yeah, there's a few of these types around here. Expect to get flamed or accused of working for Apple for any kind of justification for Apple devices to exist. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
you can get similar specs to both in a cheap Dell or Acer, but I'm speaking from experience when I say it's simply not worth it.

Not sure what you're doing to your laptops...
My $650 Asus lasted six years being carried back and forth to classes in a backpack multiple times nearly every day, went back together with no problems when I upgraded the CPU last year ago, and is still working great despite me breaking a little bit of plastic off the screen hinge cover, and some scratches on the back of the screen.
My new $1100 XPS seems to be a brick (as in solid). I haven't had it six years like the Asus, but it's been fine for five months in and out of the same backpack the Asus used to travel in. I paid $300 for a 512GB SSD, and $80 for 16GB DDR3 for it. So, now it has cost about $1500. The only equivalent Mac is a Retina MBP, which costs $3000 for 512GB+16GB. Apple doesn't state specific CPU model numbers, either. I got my XPS before Dell removed all customization options (guess I'll never buy another Dell again :)), and was able to upgrade the CPU to one with more virtualization features. So, I have no idea whether it's possible at all to get a Mac with all available virtualization features offered by Intel, even if the other hardware matches.

Back