• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple's G5 vs the BBB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
a mac is the only true personal computer, if you cant turn it on who can steal your data?

heh, anyways, i'm glad dell is good for SOMETHING.

I still wouldn't mind owning one. Just not for its asking price.

Even with a student discount I have to pay $2700 for a duallie 2.0GHz G5. A bit too rich for the Apple expirence when I think of the awesome Opteron or Xeon rigs I could build and still have lots of change left.

Why do we bother worrying about Apple's 4% market share? As far as I'm concerned Dell is just a big jerk of a bully... why do they pick on little Apple? Probably because there are so many misinformed PC users...

There's nothing wrong with a large guy calling a little squirt's bluff when the squirt says he can kick everyone's arse.

Dell is a useless computer company... they make a couple of different computers and then charge way too much for mediocre performance and don't even come close to catering to people's actual needs... I don't consider this to be a victory by any means because most people don't understand how such slow computers could be so great... Apple has to try to toot it's horn to get attention... they just blew a little too hard... just like AMD... the only company actually in the MHz race is Intel... and what computer company uses only intel? Dell does.

I beg to differ. Dell is far from useless. They bring affordable computing solutions to just about any home user and at the same time, are able to offer enterprise products backed by industry-leading tech. support. Yeah, we may think a Dell is slow because we run overclocked, custom-built systems but to the average home user, the Dell is plenty adequate because they aren't calculating Pi to 1 million digits. Like beauty, speed is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally wouldn't use a Dell machine for my daily computer. If I didn't know how to build one or how to service one, I'd buy a Dell. If a friend of mine didn't want a system built by me or wanted a 24/7, multi-year warranty, I'd tell them to get a Dell. Dell serves a purpose, just not one that's suited for us enthusiasts.

~THT

The only place Dell REALLY rips you off is with memory. $70 for 128megs of SDRAM is ridiculously beyond crazy. Seriously. Build me a computer, with operating system, monitor, keyboard, and mouse, for $500. Any parts, brand new, do it.

Now through in (horrible, but existent) tech support.

Dell +1
Custom 0

Dells have their place.

Dell is great to get cheap bare computers that are under cost. anyone here get on the sc server deal?

I was trying to say that Dell offers inappropriate solutions at high cost... Look at most of their computers, a 2.4/2.66 GHz P4 is standard for the "P4 system"... they cut corners by using old A and B cores and then they give the consumer 128 Mb of RAM (PC133 mind you!) expandable for ungodly amounts of money...

The average user would have been fine with a 1 GHz Celeron!
128 Mb of really slow RAM? Give me a break!

Their low end systems all have onboard video and sound which is fine for the average computer user but they charge as much money as you'd expect for separate video or sound. You know as well as I that you can get a Mobo like that for about $50... then look at their hard drives... 20/40 Gb standard! and they're not high speed drives... just run of the mill 7200 RPM ATA's.... there is included software... of which only windows is useful... the rest is all crap that you could get for pennies... or perhaps you were a computer user before and you already have it...

The low end systems could easily be built for $300 yet they all cost $500-$600. Dell makes an obscene amount on each computer.

I was getting really annoyed when all the computer inclined people and Mac zealots were going around preaching that the G5 was the best thing since Jesus when that statement hit the streets, but at the same time I dont want legal action against Apple.

A good public slap on the hand is fine. As others have said other companies do it all the time and there is not wrong with people calling them out on it.

I dont think people should cheer for Apple getting into real trouble over this.

I dont use any macs but I appreciate them for what they are. Gotta give it to Apple for that G5 case design. Its good to have small guys like that to introduce new ideas.

A Dell representative said in an e-mail: We "notified NAD because we felt there were some inaccuracies in Apple's advertisement and wanted to act on behalf of consumers in the marketplace who deserve accurate information on which to base their purchase decisions...Essentially, we felt that clarity in the marketplace benefits consumers, and NAD agreed."

What a bucket of bull. Does anybody buy this crap?

You're taking into account only the cost of parts. Do you know how expensive labor and support are? or other non-value adding costs? Pension benefits/liabilities alone are staggering. I think the example I heard was the cost of the steel in a GM car is about 1/4 to 1/6 the cost of the pension costs associated with building that car. Believe me, Dell does NOT make a ton of money on each unit. Their end-user business relies on volume of sales.

~THT

If they didnt cater for people's needs then naturally nobody would buy them - and I dont think thats the case....! Dell sells them at that price because there is a market demand for them at that price - simple market economics and they are most certainly not a useless company to the vast majority of the populus. To most overclockers however yes I would agree they are - but I dont think that was your point.

Captain Newbie said:
To the original article:

So what?

It's the same thing Intel does to artifically inflate processor performance: lie.

But intel never outright says "Our processor is faster than AMD's"

well i don't recall them doing so. The thing is, Apple just out and said "the fastest desktop computer" or something, and that's just a statement in black and white, which was false, no way around it.

Back